Calculating F using Sig Figs | (5/9) (6.5) + 32

• Thread starter Ognerok
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation for force. They were told that 32 is a force which means it must have been measured. They were also told that all measurements are inherently flawed and suffer from finite precision and some inaccuracy. They found that the 9/5 is an exact ratio and does not change the number of sig figs in (5/9)x 6.5, thus 3.6. They then found that the answer is 35.6˚F.
Ognerok

Homework Statement

I need to calculate F = (5/9) (6.5) + 32 using the correct number of sig figs.

Homework Equations

F = (5/9) (c) + 32

The Attempt at a Solution

Got down to 3.6 + 32; should it just be 35.6 or 36?

Physics news on Phys.org
3.6 + 32 you're adding a number with two sig figs to another number with two sig figs, so would you have two sig figs (36) or three (35.6) in the final answer?

Feldoh said:
3.6 + 32 you're adding a number with two sig figs to another number with two sig figs, so would you have two sig figs (36) or three (35.6) in the final answer?

Ah, nevermind. Considering 32 is an exact number anyway (a "counting" number) in which sig figs aren't counted in the 32.

I guess if it was 3.6 + 32.0000, then sig figs would be counted for the 32.0000 (which is, 4 decimal places vs. 1 decimal place; result should have 1 decimal place).

No.

When adding and subtracting, you do not count the number of digits, you find the least precise decimal position.

The 9/5 (assuming this is not exact, coming out of a specific ratio in a formula) will cause the result of (9/5)(6.5) to have a single digit (following rules of multiplication) or 4.

4 is significant to the "unit" (or the "ones") which gets added to 32 which is also significant to the "unit." They are added, and the sum will be significant to the unit. Answer is 36.

Anyway, unless you were told specifically that 32 was a "counted" number, and therefore exact, you cannot make that assumption. And since the equation implies you are calculating a force, I'm not sure how you can be so sure about counting exactly 32 individual Newtons of force (all lined up in the same direction?)

Furthermore, at some point even counting becomes erroneous. At what point? count out 100 pennies; are you sure you have 100? How about after counting 1000? 10,000? When does the possibility of a miscount become "highly probable"?

If this is an equation for Force (implied by the "F"), then the 32 must be a force which means it must have been measured. All measurements are inherently flawed and suffer from finite precision and some inaccuracy. 32 is a two sig measurement.

Last edited:
Chi Meson said:

If this is an equation for Force (implied by the "F"), then the 32 must be a force which means it must have been measured. All measurements are inherently flawed and suffer from finite precision and some inaccuracy. 32 is a two sig measurement.

For whatever it's worth, looks like he is converting temperature from Fahrenheit to Celsius.

** Edit **
I meant from Celsius to Fahrenheit.

Last edited:
Ognerok said:
Ah, nevermind. Considering 32 is an exact number anyway (a "counting" number) in which sig figs aren't counted in the 32.

I guess if it was 3.6 + 32.0000, then sig figs would be counted for the 32.0000 (which is, 4 decimal places vs. 1 decimal place; result should have 1 decimal place).

Looks good to me. For what it's worth, we are dealing with number of places past the decimal rather than significant figures, but it looks like you probably realize that.

kuruman said:
For whatever it's worth, looks like he is converting temperature from Fahrenheit to Celsius.

** Edit **
I meant from Celsius to Fahrenheit.

I was very tired last night. Still, I cannot believe I didn't recognize the c=>F formula. In this case, the 9/5 is an exact ratio and doesn't change the number of sig figs in (5/9)x 6.5, thus 3.6.

And since both 0˚C and 32˚F are defined as the same temperature, the 32 is also absolute and, when adding, does not change the "least precise" position of the answer.

That means the answer is 35.6˚F.

Last edited:

What is "Sig fig calc"?

"Sig fig calc" stands for significant figure calculator. It is a tool used to calculate and display numbers with the appropriate number of significant figures.

Why is it important to use significant figures in calculations?

Significant figures are important because they represent the precision or accuracy of a measurement or calculation. Using the correct number of significant figures ensures that the result is not misleading or incorrect.

How do you determine the number of significant figures in a number?

The general rule for determining significant figures is to count all non-zero digits and all zeros between non-zero digits. However, there are specific rules for trailing zeros, leading zeros, and numbers written in scientific notation.

What is the purpose of rounding when using significant figures?

Rounding to the correct number of significant figures helps to maintain the precision of a calculation. It allows for a more accurate representation of the result while still being within the limits of the measurement's precision.

Can significant figures be used in all types of calculations?

Yes, significant figures can be used in all types of calculations, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and more complex equations. It is important to follow the rules for determining significant figures and rounding to ensure the accuracy of the result.