Finding the Maximum Electric Field of a Charged Ring Using Derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum value of the electric field in terms of R. The process involves taking the derivative of the given equation, setting it equal to zero, and solving for z. The final result is z = ± R/√2, which can then be used to find Emax by plugging it into the original equation. However, the algebra involved in solving for z is complex and may require additional assistance.
exitwound

Homework Statement

problem.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]E=\frac{kqz}{(z^2+r^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(c) is asking where the maximum value of the electric field would be in terms of R. In order to do this, I have to take the derivative of this function, set it equal to zero, correct?

[tex]E=kq\frac{z}{(z^2+r^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

Is this how I do this?

[tex]\frac{dE}{dz} = \frac{uv\prime - u\prime v}{v^2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that is how to differentiate it.

I end up with

[edited]

First of all, is this right?

Last edited:
Okay, I'm completely lost on this one. I need help.

Where did your differentiation go?

[tex]kq(\frac{(z)(3/2)(z^2+r^2)^{1/2}(2z)-(1)(z^2+r^2)^{3/2}}{(z^2+r^2)^3})[/tex]

[tex]kq\frac{(3z^2)(z^2+r^2)^{1/2}-(z^2+r^2)^{3/2}}{(z^2+r^2)^3}[/tex]

[tex](3z^2)(z^2+r^2)^{1/2}=(z^2+r^2)^{3/2}[/tex]

[tex](3z^2)=(z^2+r^2)[/tex]

[tex]2z^2-r^2=0[/tex]

so z= ± r/√2

But what does that tell me in terms of the question asked?

exitwound said:
But what does that tell me in terms of the question asked?

so if Emax occurs for z=R/√2

To find Emax, put z=r/√2 into your equation for E

I inadvertently dropped the kq from the post above.

[tex]
kq(3z^2)(z^2+r^2)^{1/2}=(z^2+r^2)^{3/2}
[/tex]

[tex]
kq(3z^2)=(z^2+r^2)
[/tex]

[tex]
kq(2z^2-r^2)=0
[/tex]

[tex]z=\frac{r}{\sqrt{2kq}}[/tex]

If I put it back into the original equation, I still have an unknown r then. This equation is a mess.

well you could just compute the value of z and then put that number into the equation with E

Okay I can't solve this. The algebra is way too messy and I can't follow what I'm doing.

1. What is the purpose of finding the maximum electric field of a charged ring?

The purpose of finding the maximum electric field of a charged ring is to understand the behavior of electric fields and how they are affected by the charge distribution of a ring. This information is useful in various fields of science and engineering, such as in designing electronic devices or in studying the behavior of charged particles.

2. How is the maximum electric field of a charged ring calculated using derivatives?

The maximum electric field of a charged ring is calculated using the derivative of the electric potential function with respect to the distance from the center of the ring. This derivative is then set to zero and solved for the distance at which the maximum electric field occurs.

3. What are the necessary parameters needed to calculate the maximum electric field of a charged ring?

The necessary parameters needed to calculate the maximum electric field of a charged ring include the total charge of the ring, the radius of the ring, and the distance from the center of the ring to the point where the electric field is being calculated.

4. Can the maximum electric field of a charged ring be negative?

Yes, the maximum electric field of a charged ring can be negative. This occurs when the point where the electric field is being calculated is located inside the charged ring, resulting in a negative value for the electric potential function and thus a negative electric field.

5. How does the maximum electric field of a charged ring change with changes in the distance from the center of the ring?

The maximum electric field of a charged ring follows an inverse relationship with the distance from the center of the ring. As the distance increases, the maximum electric field decreases, and vice versa. This can be seen in the equation for the electric potential function, which includes a term for the distance from the center of the ring.