Calculating Time Dilation in Apollo Astronauts Returning from the Moon

In summary, the question is asking for the time difference between the clocks of the Apollo astronauts and the clocks on Earth, assuming the astronauts traveled at a speed of 25,000 mi/h for the entire trip from the moon to Earth. Using the equation t=L/v, the time in Earth's frame is found to be approximately 9.55428 hours. However, solving for the time dilation factor at this speed results in a value less than 1, indicating that the astronauts' clocks will run slower than Earth's clocks. The distance given in the question is 238,857 miles, which is the distance from the moon to Earth. Therefore, this is the total distance traveled and the only distance needed for the calculation.
kait

Homework Statement

The Apollo astronauts returned from the moon under the Earth's gravitational force and reached speeds almost 25,000 mi/h WRT Earth. Assuming (incorrectly) they had this speed for the entire trip from the moon to Earth, what was the time difference for the trip between their clocks and clocks on Earth?

Given:
Velocity of Apollow WRT Earth: 25,000 mi/h

Assumed (I'm not sure if I'm actually supposed to use or assume this):
Distance from Earth to the moon: 238, 857 mi

Homework Equations

I believe I have solved for t (Earth's frame), but I'm having a problem solving for t' (Apollo's frame).

The Attempt at a Solution

Earth's Frame:

t=L/v=238,857 mi/ 25000 mi/h=9.55428 h

Apollo's Frame:

t'=t/ɣ=9.55428 h*√(1-(25,000/c)²)=this doesn't work

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: what is the time dilation factor at this speed?

The way I have it set up, the time dilation factor is less than 1, am I doing something wrong?

No, that's okay. The astronauts clocks run slower than Earth's clocks, and will show less time elapsed.

So what number do you get for the time dilation factor?

Also, I noticed you used 238,857 miles. Do the astronauts just go to the moon (total distance = 238,857 mi.), or do they return to Earth as well?

p.s. I'm logging off soon, good luck!

From the wording of the question, it looks like it only wants the distance from the Moon to the Earth. That is the problem that I am having. According to my calculator, I have two choices. I can take it to be 1 or the square root of a negative number, which is what is messing me up.

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for objects in different gravitational fields or moving at different velocities. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity.

How does gravity affect time dilation?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not a force but rather a curvature of space and time. This means that objects with greater mass will cause a greater curvature in space and time, resulting in a slower passage of time for objects near the source of gravity.

What is the relationship between speed and time dilation?

According to the theory of relativity, as an object moves at higher speeds, time will appear to pass slower for that object when observed by a stationary observer. This effect becomes more significant as the object's speed approaches the speed of light.

Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation has been observed and measured in various experiments, such as with atomic clocks placed on high-speed airplanes or satellites in orbit around Earth. However, the effects are very small and would not be noticeable in everyday situations.

Is time travel possible through time dilation?

While time dilation does allow for differences in the passage of time, it is not possible to travel through time in the traditional sense. Time dilation only affects the rate at which time passes, not the direction of time. So, an object may experience time at a different rate, but it cannot travel back to a previous point in time.