Average speed problem What am I missing?

In summary, the person walked from point a to point b at a speed of 5 m/s, then turned around and walked from point b to point a at a speed of 3 m/s. Their average speed was 3 m/s.
xXOfNiRXx

Homework Statement

A person walks from point a to point b at a speed of 5 m/s. Then she turns around and walks from point b to point a at a speed of 3 m/s. What is her average speed?

Homework Equations

Average speed is equal to d/ change in t.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know the distance is 2d. I also know the acceleration is constant, though I don't know if I need it for the problem. So I tried to do 5m/s + 3m/s /2 to get the answer. That led to the wrong path. Since we don't have time, I'm assuming that maybe I use a kinematic equation. However, we don't know what acceleration is, other than it is constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here the person is walking with uniform velocity.
From a to b the time taken is t1 = d/5 m/s
From b to a the time taken is t2 = d/3 m/s
Find total time and total distance. Then the average velocity = total distance / total time.

I see that total distance is 2, or 2d. I am having trouble seeing how to get the time.

xXOfNiRXx said:
I see that total distance is 2, or 2d. I am having trouble seeing how to get the time.
Total time t = t1 + t1 = d/(5 m/s) + d/(3 m/s)

Tried working it out, but I'm not seeing it here. I see that by manipulation you get t=d/v at which point you plug in the speed that I am given. Can you explain a bit more. I'm quite confused here.

xXOfNiRXx said:
Tried working it out, but I'm not seeing it here. I see that by manipulation you get t=d/v at which point you plug in the speed that I am given. Can you explain a bit more. I'm quite confused here.
Average velocity = 2d/t = 2d/( d/5 + d/3)

Oooooooo! It all makes sense! Got it! Thanks so much! Really appreciate it. The trick was seeing that the d's would cancel! Thanks!

1. What is an average speed problem?

An average speed problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the average speed of an object or person over a certain distance or time. It is often used in physics and real-life scenarios, such as calculating the average speed of a car during a road trip.

2. How do I solve an average speed problem?

To solve an average speed problem, you first need to determine the total distance traveled and the total time taken. You can then use the formula "average speed = total distance/total time" to find the average speed.

3. What are the common mistakes made in average speed problems?

One common mistake is using the wrong units for distance or time. It is important to ensure that the units are consistent throughout the problem. Another mistake is forgetting to convert units, such as miles to kilometers. It is also important to consider any changes in speed during the journey, as the average speed may be different from the constant speed.

4. Can average speed problems be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, average speed problems are often used in real-world situations, such as calculating the average speed of a runner during a marathon or the average speed of a train on a long journey. These problems can help us better understand and analyze motion and speed in the real world.

5. How can I check if my answer to an average speed problem is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original formula and ensuring that it makes sense in the context of the problem. You can also use estimation to get an idea of what the answer should be, and then compare it to your calculated answer. Finally, you can ask a peer or teacher to review your work and provide feedback.