Possible Bug in PF: Has Anyone Else Experienced This?

• Bug
  • Thread starter alexepascual
  • Start date
In summary: A work-around: write your post in a word processor, then copy-paste into the PF window. Thanks for your suggestion Lisa. The thing is I like to use the little button that allows you to surround a paragraph in {quote} markup.
alexepascual
When I log in and write a long post, when I try to submit the post I get a new dialog to log in. So I put my name an password and click the button. But then I get an error message that tells me that I logged in since the last time or something to that effect. I says that I should click the back button to return to the previous page. When I click only once the back button it does not take me to the previous page. When I click twice the back button, it does send me back to the previous page but all I see is the quote I was answering to and not the text I typed. I have lost many long posts this way.
I am using Vista and IE8.

I'll try to recreate this problem again and this time take note of the exact text of the error messages. It looks to me that some part of the forum's program thinks that I am logged-in while another part (the one that prompts me to log-in again) thinks I am logged-out.
Has anybody else experienced this frustrating problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I did, it was a week ago, I kept logging in every time that window pops up but it just didn’t stop and couldn’t post anything, I only get out of it by clicking on the remember me option

drizzle said:
I did, it was a week ago, I kept logging in every time that window pops up but it just didn’t stop and couldn’t post anything, I only get out of it by clicking on the remember me option

Although I've expected to time out on posts, it's never happened to me on Firefox with XP. I've typed a post and accidentally hit "back" and when I hit "forward" again everything I typed is still there. I'm not sure how much is the site and how much is the browser, and of course using Firefox would be a workaround for you and not a solution, but just FYI.

It's a subtle hint from PF that while either Vista or IE on its own is bad enough, actually using BOTH is disaster! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
It's a subtle hint from PF that while either Vista or IE on its own is bad enough, actually using BOTH is disaster! :biggrin:

I respect your opinion Moonbear, but disagree with you. You're suggesting some sort of intelligent design is at play here, while I say it's natural selection in favor of those who use Firefox.

:biggrin:

Redbelly98 said:
I respect your opinion Moonbear, but disagree with you. You're suggesting some sort of intelligent design is at play here, while I say it's natural selection in favor of those who use Firefox.

:rofl: Ah, yes, indeed, how silly of me. I guess when a little birdie tells you something, you're supposed to listen. :wink:

Moonbear said:
Don't you DARE badmouthing Vista and IE!

Here in Norway, they work in perfect harmony. It is the fjord factor, I think. :smile:

arildno said:
Don't you DARE badmouthing Vista and IE!

Here in Norway, they work in perfect harmony. It is the fjord factor, I think. :smile:

They work better when tossed in a fjord? :wink:

A work-around: write your post in a word processor, then copy-paste into the PF window.

I like doing this especially since I find the PF window is a bit small.

Redbelly98 said:

I would say there is no intelligent design involved in either Vista or IE.

lisab said:
A work-around: write your post in a word processor, then copy-paste into the PF window.

I like doing this especially since I find the PF window is a bit small.

Thanks for your suggestion Lisa. The thing is I like to use the little button that allows you to surround a paragraph in {quote} markup.
I have thought about writing the whole post within the PF editor window and then copy and paste to a Notepad document. If I loose it I can always get started again. But the problem is that before copying the text, I forget and click "Submit post". As soon as I click "submit" I realize I made a mistake... Too late!

Last edited:
kote said:
Although I've expected to time out on posts, it's never happened to me on Firefox with XP. I've typed a post and accidentally hit "back" and when I hit "forward" again everything I typed is still there. I'm not sure how much is the site and how much is the browser, and of course using Firefox would be a workaround for you and not a solution, but just FYI.

I have another computer with XP. I could try that. The source of the problem might be some security feature in Vista or IE. But I think the forum administrators should look into this problem. There may be more people experiencing it in the future... Or maybe it'll go away by itself?
I haven't tried to reproduce the bug again so that I can document it better. I'll see if I do it today.

kote said:

I think the problem is definitely linked to a timeout. I'll try to reproduce the problem from IE and then install Firefox or maybe Chrome? I wonder how the other browsers compare. I understand that may be a very personal thing.

I never experienced difficulties with PF website, browser, or operating system, while posting on PF. Only sometimes the human system causes typos, may convey stupid ideas, and even need hydration, drain, lubrication, or any combination of them.

humanino said:
I never experienced difficulties with PF website, browser, or operating system, while posting on PF. Only sometimes the human system causes typos, may convey stupid ideas, and even need hydration, drain, lubrication, or any combination of them.

Lol...

alexepascual said:
When I log in and write a long post, when I try to submit the post I get a new dialog to log in. So I put my name an password and click the button. But then I get an error message that tells me that I logged in since the last time or something to that effect. I says that I should click the back button to return to the previous page. When I click only once the back button it does not take me to the previous page. When I click twice the back button, it does send me back to the previous page but all I see is the quote I was answering to and not the text I typed. I have lost many long posts this way.
I am using Vista and IE8.

I'll try to recreate this problem again and this time take note of the exact text of the error messages. It looks to me that some part of the forum's program thinks that I am logged-in while another part (the one that prompts me to log-in again) thinks I am logged-out.
Has anybody else experienced this frustrating problem?
I am running Windows XP and IE-8, and have the same problem. Often I am just browsing and I get logged off. When I am posting I select all and copy just in case I get logged out before the post is complete.

alexepascual said:
I have another computer with XP. I could try that. The source of the problem might be some security feature in Vista or IE. But I think the forum administrators should look into this problem. There may be more people experiencing it in the future... Or maybe it'll go away by itself?
I haven't tried to reproduce the bug again so that I can document it better. I'll see if I do it today.

I tried to reproduce the bug but this time it didn't do it. I think the problem is that when it logs you out due to a time-out it does not update the page. You can still see the "logout" button on top. I'll try to make a copy of the source code for this page and see if there is something suspicious there. I am not too optimistic though.

See, Moonbear?
Vista and IE works after all! Smile:

I am attaching the error message as I didn't find out how to paste it here.

Any way, it is short enough to type it too:

Your submision could not be processed
because you have logged in since the
previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the
previous window.

It would be nice if some programmer at PF looked into a possible cause for this.

Attachments

• ForumError.jpg
    ForumError.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
alexepascual said:
I think the problem is that when it logs you out due to a time-out, it does not update the page. You can still see the "logout" button on top.

alexepascual: Delete your cookies, in case you have a bad cookie.

Although I'm not experiencing the problem you are encountering, I too have noticed a bug in the PF software where it often redisplays the log out link immediately after you log out, even though you are already logged out. Occasionally, a problem can be (temporarily) resolved if you click the log out link again. In other words, log out twice.

Have you considered trying Mozilla Firefox? It is a standards-compliant browser, and might not exhibit the same problem you are encountering.

Also, when you visit PF, does the url at the top of your window begin with the letters "www." or not?

nvn said:
alexepascual: Delete your cookies, in case you have a bad cookie.

Although I'm not experiencing the problem you are encountering, I too have noticed a bug in the PF software where it often redisplays the log out link immediately after you log out, even though you are already logged out. Occasionally, a problem can be (temporarily) resolved if you click the log out link again. In other words, log out twice.

Have you considered trying Mozilla Firefox? It is a standards-compliant browser, and might not exhibit the same problem you are encountering.

Also, when you visit PF, does the url at the top of your window begin with the letters "www." or not?

I will try deleting cookies, but I doubt it this couls be the cause. The thing is, when I am logged out due to a timeout, the page does not know it and still shows the "logout" button.
I may try Firefox. But I think PF should work with IE too. I have not taken the time to characterise this problem better yet. I'll try to use PF from my XP desktop and see what happens.

humanino said:

We engineers have a special category for these kinds of bugs. We refer to them as PEBKAC, which means problem exists between keyboard and chair.

- Warren

alexepascual said:
I tried to reproduce the bug but this time it didn't do it. I think the problem is that when it logs you out due to a time-out it does not update the page. You can still see the "logout" button on top. I'll try to make a copy of the source code for this page and see if there is something suspicious there. I am not too optimistic though.

This isn't really a "bug," though it may be unintended behavior. PF does not use any kind of "server-push" technology. All interaction between your browser and PF server is initiated by the browser. If you leave the browser open and leave your desk, the page will never change, although the PF server will quietly expire your session cookie. When you come back and press a button, the server will be contacted, and the expired session cookie will result in a "you must login to see this page" kind of message.

- Warren

chroot said:
This isn't really a "bug," though it may be unintended behavior. PF does not use any kind of "server-push" technology. All interaction between your browser and PF server is initiated by the browser. If you leave the browser open and leave your desk, the page will never change, although the PF server will quietly expire your session cookie. When you come back and press a button, the server will be contacted, and the expired session cookie will result in a "you must login to see this page" kind of message.

- Warren

This is the message I get:
attachment.php?attachmentid=20479&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1252428832.jpg

I was hoping the error message, which I attached in a previous post would show in it's normal size here but it shows really small. So this doesn't help. Please open the attachment to see it.

So, there is a conflict in the recorded information (in the server or my computer) about my logged-in status. It looks like they get out-of-sync.

The problem happens when I click on "Submit" after typing a long response to a post. In the upper part of the page it still says "log Out".
So I wonder: Who displays this error message? is it the javascript code on the page or the server as a response to my http message sent by clicking the button?

If you take a long time while typing a response, the server will time you out, and you might lose your post. There's really nothing we can do on our end. You should use a text editor to compose very long responses, or, at the very least, copy your writing to the clipboard before pressing the submit button.

- Warren

Or just click the "remember me" button.

1. What is the possible bug in PF and how does it manifest?

The possible bug in PF (Pathfinder) refers to a potential error or malfunction in the game that may affect gameplay or performance. This could manifest in various ways, such as crashes, glitches, or incorrect calculations.

2. Has the bug been reported before?

It is possible that the bug has been reported before by other players or on online forums. It is important to do some research and see if others have experienced the same issue before reporting it.

3. How can I report the bug?

If you believe you have encountered a bug in PF, you can report it to the game developers through their official website or customer support. Be sure to provide detailed information about the bug, such as when it occurred, what you were doing at the time, and any screenshots or videos that may help in identifying the issue.

4. Is there a way to fix the bug myself?

As a player, there is no way for you to fix the bug yourself. It is the responsibility of the game developers to address and resolve any bugs in the game.

5. Will the bug be fixed in the next update?

There is no guarantee that the bug will be fixed in the next update. The game developers will prioritize and address bugs based on severity and impact on gameplay. However, it is important to report the bug so that it can be acknowledged and potentially fixed in a future update.