Is Competition to Become a Professor Worse at Lower-Ranked Schools?

In summary: The school in Europe (who knows, may be everyone rushes to USA so there is more competition in USA)Again, no chance. There are plenty of jobs in Europe, and even if there weren't, the competition to get into a good school in Europe is incredibly stiff.3) A school in third world countryThere is no competition here.
causalset
I have heard that at the University of Minnesota there was one professor opening with 300 candidates. This makes it sound very unrealistic for anyone, however smart, to ever hope to be a professor. So could it be there are worse schools, with less competition?

I know part of the equation is that I want to be in quantum field theory or gravity, and these are harder to get than something more lab oriented. But I am not willing to back up on THAT, as this specific area of physics is my life time goal. However, I *AM* willing to go to a very bad school.

So if I go to the lowest ranking school in the country, and apply for a job in quantum field theory or gravity, what would the competition be like? I am thinking of three basic possibilities:

1) School in USA/Canada that ranks extremely low

2) The school in Europe (who knows, may be everyone rushes to USA so there is more competition in USA)

3) A school in third world country

Please let me know what is the competition in each case.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure it should be a concern for you that there are 300 applicants for an academic job, such a situation exists also outside of academia, and sometime even worse.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
I am not sure it should be a concern for you that there are 300 applicants for an academic job, such a situation exists also outside of academia, and sometime even worse.

So if all jobs have such a tough competition, how come we don't have 99% of population homeless?

People apply to more than one job.

Lots of people might already have jobs but want to get a better one.

staid said:
Lots of people might already have jobs but want to get a better one.

Are you saying that they will choose someone who doesn't already have a job since that person is in more need? I mean that would be the only way it could answer the 1/300 question.

Also, out of the job applicants, what is the ratio of the ones who don't have job compared to the ones who do?

Academic said:
People apply to more than one job.

That would work if it was a simple drop of a coin. But it isn't. So, if you are better than 90% and worse than 10%, then sometimes you will come across as 85-th percentile, sometimes 95-th, but you will NEVER be best out of 300, unless one of the employers is insane.

Last edited:
causalset said:
<snip>

So if I go to the lowest ranking school in the country, and apply for a job in quantum field theory or gravity, what would the competition be like?
<snip>

This reads like a classic case of not matching your needs to the needs of a potential employer. Specifically, what evidence do you have that there is a large pool of universities (including the third world...?) trying to hire field theorists?

Andy Resnick said:
This reads like a classic case of not matching your needs to the needs of a potential employer. Specifically, what evidence do you have that there is a large pool of universities (including the third world...?) trying to hire field theorists?

Well, even though I got my ph.d. in Michigan, I had a co-advisor from Missisippi. I saw the NSF ranking and the University of Missisippi is very close to the bottom of the list; yet, they do have a large gravity group.

I'm not sure that just because a school has a low ranking there will be any less demand for a job there. Remember, these rankings are somewhat arbitrary and take into account many factors that may not necessarily reflect how desirable it would be to work at the given institution. Further, walking into an interview with the opinion that a school is "bad" is not likely to make you very competative for a position there.

Another issue to consider is that there are lots of advertised positions these days that end up seeing an avalanche applications. But the real question is how many of the applicants are actually qualified for the position? There are a lot of people these days who electronically fire a form CV at any opening they appear to be moderately qualified for.

In my field (medical physics) it's not uncommon for job openings to have dozens or even hundreds of applicants. But once you start actually sorting through the applicants, you find that only a handful of candidates are actually qualified for the position.

causalset said:
So if I go to the lowest ranking school in the country, and apply for a job in quantum field theory or gravity, what would the competition be like? I am thinking of three basic possibilities:

1) School in USA/Canada that ranks extremely low ...

No chance. They are ful of Europeans & Third World braniacs who can't get into undefunded institutions in their own countries...

causalset said:
So if all jobs have such a tough competition, how come we don't have 99% of population homeless?

The 99% get a job in IT...

Mississippi is not the third world. :wink:

Like Choppy said, rankings are not really an indication of competitiveness. Highly ranked departments tend to be big. Small, specialized departments tend to be unknown outside their particularly specialized field, and rank lower.

He's also correct that there will be a lot of unqualified people submitting applications. But there will also be a lot of qualified people. If you're #30 of 300 or #30 of 150 or #30 of 600 it doesn't make a big difference. You won't even be shortlisted. Last year there were 9 people that got new theory faculty positions at research universities in the US. 3 or 3.5 of them do stringy or QG-ey stuff. So that should tell you about where you have to be - one of the top three people in your field.

I hesitate to point this out, but letters of recommendation are vital in getting a faculty position. A candidate who has burned many bridges will have a more difficult time than one who has not.

Vanadium 50 said:
Last year there were 9 people that got new theory faculty positions at research universities in the US. 3 or 3.5 of them do stringy or QG-ey stuff. So that should tell you about where you have to be - one of the top three people in your field.

Do you know this just because you are in the field, or is this data published somewhere?

Vanadium 50 said:
I hesitate to point this out, but letters of recommendation are vital in getting a faculty position. A candidate who has burned many bridges will have a more difficult time than one who has not.

Yes, indeed, although not always practicable, it does make life easier if this advice can be followed!

atyy said:
Do you know this just because you are in the field, or is this data published somewhere?

I am in the field, but if you look for the HEP Theory Jobs Rumor Mill, you'll get some similar numbers. It's also worth point out that often faculty searches fail - i.e. they look at a list of 300 or whatever and no one gets an offer.

causalset said:
Well, even though I got my ph.d. in Michigan, I had a co-advisor from Missisippi. I saw the NSF ranking and the University of Missisippi is very close to the bottom of the list; yet, they do have a large gravity group.

That's not really my point. The reality is, there is an oversupply of potential faculty candidates in certain branches of physics. One could argue that there is an oversupply of potential faculty candidates in *all* branches of physics, but I'm not going to.

The ranking of a school doesn't always correlate with the quality of a specific program- you provide an example of that- but your sentence "However, I *AM* willing to go to a very bad school" seems (to me) to indicate that those ("very bad", whatever that means) schools would not be interested in hiring *you* because of your attitude. Like, are you gracing their program with your presence?

Good point, Andy. People need to look at this from the faculty's point of view - they're asking themselves "do I want this person to be my colleague for the next 30 years?"

What is the process for becoming a professor?

The process for becoming a professor typically involves obtaining a doctoral degree in a specific field, gaining teaching experience, and conducting original research. Once a candidate has met these requirements, they can apply for open positions at colleges or universities and go through a rigorous interview and evaluation process.

What qualifications are needed to become a professor?

To become a professor, one typically needs to have a doctoral degree in their chosen field. Additionally, teaching experience, published research, and strong communication skills are often necessary. Some universities may also require candidates to have completed postdoctoral work or have a specific number of years of experience in their field.

Is competition high for professor positions?

Yes, competition for professor positions can be quite high. With a limited number of openings and a large pool of qualified candidates, the job market for professors can be competitive. It is important for candidates to have a strong background in their field and stand out in terms of teaching experience, research, and publications.

What are the benefits of being a professor?

Being a professor can come with many benefits, including job stability, a competitive salary, and the opportunity to make a positive impact on students' lives. Professors also have the freedom to conduct research in their area of expertise and have the potential to become leaders in their field.

What challenges do professors face?

Some of the challenges professors may face include heavy workloads, balancing teaching and research responsibilities, and dealing with budget cuts or changes in university policies. Professors may also face pressure to publish and maintain a high level of productivity in their research, which can be stressful.