Statics Homework-couple moments- can't find where to start

So, for F, the clockwise moments = Fd, and the anticlockwise moments = 100(10 - d).In summary, The person posting this conversation is in their second year of mechanical engineering and is seeking help with a statics problem. The given image shows the problem and the person is looking for help with calculating the force times distance. They have been advised to choose a convenient point and have been given the equations for calculating clockwise and anticlockwise moments.
GarrettKoep

Homework Statement

I am in my second year of mechanical engineering.
This is a statics problem i would like help starting

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9501/hw1z.jpg [Broken]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to calculate the force time distance but i can't figure it out.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi GarrettKoep! Welcome to PF! :wink:
GarrettKoep said:
I know I need to calculate the force time distance but i can't figure it out.

Yes, you need the force times the perpendicular distance (from the point you're taking moments about).

Choose any convenient point (personally, I'd go for F). :smile:

Hello,

I am happy to assist you with your statics homework. Couple moments can be a bit tricky, but once you understand the concept, it becomes easier to solve problems. Let's start by defining what a couple moment is. A couple moment is a force applied at two different points on a body, causing a rotation around an axis. In your problem, the couple moment is represented by the two forces acting on the beam.

To solve this problem, you can use the equation for moment, which is force multiplied by the distance from the axis of rotation. In this case, the axis of rotation is at point A. Therefore, the moment due to the 100N force is 100N multiplied by the distance from A to the point of application of the force (which is 0.5m). This can be written as M1 = 100N x 0.5m = 50Nm. Similarly, the moment due to the 200N force can be calculated as M2 = 200N x 0.3m = 60Nm.

Now, since the two forces are acting in opposite directions, the net moment is the difference between the two moments (M1 - M2 = 50Nm - 60Nm = -10Nm). This negative sign indicates that the beam will rotate in the clockwise direction.

I hope this helps you get started on your homework. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

1. How do I identify the location of a couple moment in a statics problem?

In order to identify the location of a couple moment, you need to look at the given forces and determine if there are any forces acting at a distance from each other. These forces form a couple, and the location of the couple moment is where the forces are acting.

2. What is the difference between a couple moment and a regular moment?

A regular moment is caused by a force acting on an object and is measured in Newton-meters. A couple moment, on the other hand, is caused by two equal and opposite forces acting at a distance from each other and is measured in Newton-meters per distance. In other words, a couple moment has a force and a distance component, while a regular moment only has a force component.

3. How do I calculate the magnitude of a couple moment?

To calculate the magnitude of a couple moment, you need to first determine the distance between the two forces that make up the couple. Then, multiply this distance by the magnitude of one of the forces. The resulting value will be the magnitude of the couple moment.

4. Can a couple moment be in equilibrium?

No, a couple moment cannot be in equilibrium because it is caused by two equal and opposite forces acting at a distance from each other. These forces will always produce a turning effect and cannot balance each other out.

5. How do I solve a statics problem involving couple moments?

To solve a statics problem involving couple moments, you need to first draw a free body diagram and identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, use the equations of equilibrium to find the unknown forces and moments. Make sure to pay attention to the direction and location of the forces to accurately calculate the resulting moments.