Max Voltage Cylindrical Capacitor w/Dielectric

In summary: However, it is possible that you made a mistake in your calculations, which is why your answer was marked wrong. It would be helpful to double check your calculations and make sure they are correct. In summary, when finding the maximum voltage in a cylindrical capacitor, you can use the formula E_{no_dielectric}/\kappa to find the electric field inside the dielectric. Then, using the given dielectric strength, you can solve for the charge density. Finally, you can use the potential formula 2\lambda*ln\frac{r_{2}}{r_{1}} to find the maximum voltage, but make sure your calculations are correct.
bodensee9

Homework Statement

Hello:
I am asked to find the maximum voltage in a cylindrical capacitor. The capacitor consists of an inner wire and an outer cylindrical shell. The wire has radius [tex]r_{1}[/tex] and the cylinder has inner radius [tex]r_{2}.[/tex] The space between the wires is filled with a dielectric having dielectric constant [tex]\kappa.[/tex]

Homework Equations

This is in CGS units (actual calculations have been converted to SI)
So I know that the electric field E in a dielectric is [tex]E_{no_dielectric}/\kappa[/tex]. So then if my cylindrical capacitor has E field = [tex]\frac{2\lambda}{r}[/tex], then my E field inside the dielectric material would be [tex]\frac{2\lambda}{r\kappa}[/tex]. So then if I am given a value for the dielectric strength of the dielectric (say [tex]A[/tex], which would happen at the inner radius of the cylindrical shell which is [tex]r_{2}[/tex]), would I do
[tex]A = \frac{2\lambda}{r\kappa}[/tex], and then I can find the charge density which is
[tex]\frac{Ar\kappa}{2}[/tex]. And, since the potential between the wire and the shell would be [tex]2\lambda*ln\frac{r_{2}}{r_{1}}[/tex], would I just substitute the new value for lambda I got to get the potential? For some reason this was marked wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Attempt at a SolutionThe electric field inside a dielectric is found by E_{no_dielectric}/\kappa. So, if you know the electric field outside the dielectric, you can find the electric field inside the dielectric. The electric field outside a cylindrical capacitor with radius r_{1} and inner radius r_{2} is \frac{2\lambda}{r}. So, the electric field inside the dielectric would be \frac{2\lambda}{r\kappa}. Now, if you are given a value for the dielectric strength of the dielectric (say A, which would happen at the inner radius of the cylindrical shell which is r_{2}), then you can solve for the charge density which is \frac{Ar\kappa}{2}. And, since the potential between the wire and the shell would be 2\lambda*ln\frac{r_{2}}{r_{1}}, you can substitute the new value for lambda you got to get the potential.

Your approach to finding the maximum voltage in a cylindrical capacitor with a dielectric is correct. However, there are a few things that need clarification.

Firstly, the dielectric strength of a material is typically measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). In your equation, you have used the dielectric constant (kappa) in place of the dielectric strength. These two are related, but not the same. The dielectric strength is a measure of the maximum electric field a material can withstand before breaking down, while the dielectric constant is a measure of how much the material can affect the electric field. In order to use the dielectric strength in your equation, you would need to convert it to the appropriate units (V/m).

Secondly, the dielectric strength should be used at the point where the electric field is the strongest, which would be at the inner radius of the cylindrical shell (r2 in your equation). This means that your equation should be A = 2λ/(r2κ), instead of r1.

Once you have the correct value for the dielectric strength, you can use it in your equation to find the charge density and ultimately the potential between the wire and the shell. Make sure to use the correct value for lambda, which would be the charge density at the inner radius of the cylindrical shell.

I hope this helps clarify your approach and leads you to the correct solution. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is a Max Voltage Cylindrical Capacitor with Dielectric?

A Max Voltage Cylindrical Capacitor with Dielectric is a type of capacitor that is cylindrical in shape and is designed to have a high maximum voltage rating. It also has a dielectric material, which is an insulating material placed between the two conducting plates of the capacitor.

2. What is the purpose of a dielectric in a cylindrical capacitor?

The dielectric in a cylindrical capacitor serves as an insulating material between the two conducting plates. It helps to increase the capacitance of the capacitor and also acts as a barrier to prevent any electrical breakdown or short circuit.

3. How does the dielectric affect the capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor?

The dielectric material has a high dielectric constant, which means it can store more charge compared to air or vacuum. This results in an increase in the capacitance of the capacitor. The higher the dielectric constant, the higher the capacitance of the cylindrical capacitor.

4. What is the maximum voltage rating of a Max Voltage Cylindrical Capacitor with Dielectric?

The maximum voltage rating of a Max Voltage Cylindrical Capacitor with Dielectric can vary depending on the specific model and manufacturer. However, typically it can range from a few hundred volts to several thousand volts. It is important to check the specifications of the capacitor before use to ensure it can handle the desired voltage.

5. What are the applications of a Max Voltage Cylindrical Capacitor with Dielectric?

A Max Voltage Cylindrical Capacitor with Dielectric is commonly used in high voltage applications such as power supplies, electronic devices, and energy storage systems. It can also be used in circuits that require high capacitance values and high voltage ratings. Additionally, it is used in various industrial and scientific equipment for research and experimentation purposes.