Was my post censored unfairly on Physorg?

• Thread starter MatthiasF
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved a user expressing frustration over a removed thread in the Lounge -> General section. The user received a warning from Evo, but was not given a specific reason for the removal. The user believes the removal may be due to bias and censorship. However, Evo clarified that they have no control over another site and it is inappropriate to seek responses for actions that are not known.
MatthiasF
I posted a message in the Lounge -> General section earlier today concerning Physorg's bias applying it's own rules, wronging nearly a dozen and a half readers.

The thread was yanked and a "warning" given in PM from Evo, but it won't allow me to respond. He/she did not detail why the thread was yanked only telling me to "read the rules".

I read the rules on signing up, I posted the thread in the appropriate section and kept my language respectful.

I can't think of any reasonable explanation for why the thread would be removed, aside from protecting your "partner" site. Perhaps both sites have an undue bias and quickness to censor opposing viewpoints.

Physics news on Phys.org
Matthias, as Evo pointed out, we have no control over what happens at another site. Coming here to kvetch about what is happening over there serves no useful purpose.

Nor do we have any way of knowing what posts, if any, were removed. Coming here and asking people to respond to unknowable actions on another forum was inappropriate.

1. What is censorship without merit?

Censorship without merit refers to the act of restricting or suppressing information or expression without a valid reason or justification. This can occur in various forms, such as government censorship, media censorship, or self-censorship.

2. How does censorship without merit affect society?

Censorship without merit can limit the free flow of information and ideas, hindering the development of a well-informed and critical thinking society. It can also stifle creativity and diversity of thought, leading to a homogenized and controlled society.

3. What are some examples of censorship without merit?

Examples of censorship without merit may include government censorship of political dissent, media censorship of controversial topics, or self-censorship in fear of reprisals. It can also occur in subtle ways, such as biased reporting or omission of certain perspectives.

4. Is censorship without merit ever justified?

While censorship without merit is generally seen as a violation of freedom of expression, some argue that it may be necessary in certain situations, such as to protect national security or prevent the spread of harmful or false information. However, the line between justified and unjustified censorship can be subjective and often contentious.

5. How can we combat censorship without merit?

One way to combat censorship without merit is by promoting and defending freedom of expression and access to information. This can include supporting independent media, advocating for freedom of the press, and actively seeking out diverse perspectives and information sources.