Electric field due to a uniformly charged rod

In summary, we are given a rod in the xy plane with uniform charge per unit length and asked to find the electric field on the x-axis for a specific range of values. The solution involves using the formula dE = kdQ/r^2 and breaking the region into two parts, 0 to a and a to L. The issue with the attempted solution lies in the incorrect calculation of r, which can be corrected by considering the distance between a and x.
sprinks13
hi, here's the question:

a rod in the xy plane has it's ends at (0,0) and (L,0). It has a uniform charge per unit length (lambda). Find the electric field on the x-axis for 0 < x < L.

solution attempt:

dEx = dE
= kdQ/r^2

dQ = lambda*ds = (Q/L)*dx

now i took my r = (L - a - x) where x is the location of dx and a is the distance from L to the point that the field is being measured (note that 0 < a < L).

dEx = KQ/L (integral) dx/(L - a -x)^2

So my problem is my r. It's wrong, but I am not sure why or how to fix it.

thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
sprinks13 said:
now i took my r = (L - a - x) where x is the location of dx and a is the distance from L to the point that the field is being measured (note that 0 < a < L).
If a is the location where you want the field, then r is just the distance between a and x. Hint: break the region 0 to L into two: 0 to a & a to L.

I would suggest looking into the formula for electric field due to a uniformly charged rod, which is given by:

E = (λ/2πε0)(1/r1 - 1/r2)

where λ is the linear charge density, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, r1 is the distance from the point on the x-axis to the end of the rod at (0,0), and r2 is the distance from the point on the x-axis to the end of the rod at (L,0).

Using this formula, you can calculate the electric field at any point on the x-axis between (0,0) and (L,0). It is important to note that the distance from the point on the x-axis to the rod is not simply r = (L-a-x), as the rod is not a point charge but a continuous distribution of charge. Instead, you will need to consider the distance from the point on the x-axis to each end of the rod separately.

I would also suggest checking your units and making sure that all values used in the formula are in SI units. Additionally, double check your integration limits to ensure that you are integrating over the entire length of the rod.

I hope this helps and good luck with your solution!

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electric charge experiences a force. It is represented by a vector quantity and is measured in units of Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

What is a uniformly charged rod?

A uniformly charged rod is an object that has a consistent distribution of electric charge along its length. This means that the charge is evenly spread out and the electric field strength is the same at all points along the rod.

How is the electric field strength calculated for a uniformly charged rod?

The electric field strength for a uniformly charged rod is calculated using the formula E = kλ/r, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the linear charge density (charge per unit length), and r is the distance from the rod.

What is the direction of the electric field due to a uniformly charged rod?

The direction of the electric field due to a uniformly charged rod is radial, meaning it points away from the rod in all directions. This is because the electric field lines always point in the direction of the force on a positive test charge placed at that point.

How does the electric field strength vary with distance from a uniformly charged rod?

The electric field strength varies inversely with the distance from a uniformly charged rod. This means that as the distance from the rod increases, the electric field strength decreases. The relationship is described by the inverse square law, which states that the electric field strength is proportional to 1/r².