Exploring Emission Spectra: Comparing Results for H, He, Ne, Hg, and N2

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for sources to compare their lab results on the emission spectra of H, He, Ne, Hg, and N_2. One person suggests a NIST site and another suggests a website with spectra information.
KBriggs
Hey all,

I have a lab coming up that deals with the emission spectra of [tex]H[/tex], [tex]He[/tex],[tex]Ne[/tex],[tex]Hg[/tex], and [tex]N_2[/tex]

I am looking around for some sources to compare my results to, and I thought I would post here in case anyone knows of a good (preferably online) journal article or reputable website that would have this information (wavelengths of the spectral lines for these elements). I'm sure I'll find it on my own eventually, but if you guys know of such a thing offhand a link would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Not sure if that will work as a source, but it will certainly allow me to check my work.

1. What is an emission spectrum?

An emission spectrum is a collection of wavelengths of light emitted by a substance when it is excited or heated. Each element or compound has a unique emission spectrum that can be used to identify it.

2. How is an emission spectrum produced?

An emission spectrum is produced when the electrons of an atom or molecule are excited to a higher energy state by heat or electricity. When the electrons return to their ground state, they release energy in the form of light at specific wavelengths, creating the emission spectrum.

3. What information can be obtained from an emission spectrum?

An emission spectrum can provide information about the elements or compounds present in a sample. The wavelengths and intensity of the emitted light can be used to identify the substance and its concentration.

4. How is an emission spectrum different from an absorption spectrum?

An emission spectrum shows the wavelengths of light emitted by a substance, while an absorption spectrum shows the wavelengths of light absorbed by a substance. In an absorption spectrum, dark lines appear where light is absorbed, while in an emission spectrum, bright lines appear where light is emitted.

5. How are emission spectra used in scientific research?

Emission spectra are used in a variety of scientific research fields, such as astronomy, chemistry, and physics. They can be used to identify the composition of stars and other celestial objects, analyze the chemical makeup of substances, and study the behavior of atoms and molecules. Emission spectra also have practical applications in industries such as medicine, agriculture, and environmental science.