Thermodynamics: polytropic processes

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving expansion and compression of gases in piston-cylinder devices, where the gases satisfy the relationship PV^n=c with n and C as constants. The task is to calculate the work done when a gas expands from 150kPa and .03 m^3 to a final volume of .2m^3 for the case of n = 1.3. The attempt at a solution is shown, but it is incorrect due to using 150 instead of C in the integrand. The correct solution is provided by the book, which involves calculating C from the initial state. This highlights the importance of paying attention to the constants and equations used in problem solving.
silentwf

Homework Statement

"During some actual expansion and compression processes in piston-cylinder devices, the gases have been observed to satisfy the relationship [tex]PV^n=c[/tex] where n and C are constants. Calculate the work done when a gas expands from 150kPa and .03 m^3 to a final volume of .2m^3 for the case of n = 1.3

Homework Equations

[tex]W = \int_{1}^{2} {P}dV[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]PV^n=C \Rightarrow P=CV^{-n} \Rightarrow
W = \int_{.03}^{.2} {150V^{-1.3}}dV = 621 kJ[/tex]
Which...is wrong :(

The solution the book offers is:
[tex] P_{2} = P_{1}\frac{V_{1}}{V_{2}}^n = (150)\frac{.03}{.2}^{1.3} = 12.74 kPa
\Rightarrow W = \int_{1}^{2} {P}dv = \frac{P_{2}V_{2} - P_{1}V_{1}}{1-n}
=\frac{(12.74 \cdot .2 - 150 \cdot .03)}{1-1.3} = 6.51 kJ[/tex]

Could someone explain why the way i did it is "unacceptable"?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because [itex]C\neq150[/itex]; check your integrand.

Oh...woops
I put in 150 because i was still thinking that [tex]W = P\Delta V[/tex] and I put in 150
then what would i put in? the question does not supply C though

You can calculate C from initial state.

--
methods

oh lol!
ok, i got the answer, thanks :)

1. What is a polytropic process in thermodynamics?

A polytropic process is a type of thermodynamic process in which the relationship between pressure and volume can be described by the equation PVn = constant. This means that as the volume changes, the pressure also changes, but the product of the two remains constant.

2. What is the significance of the polytropic process in thermodynamics?

The polytropic process is important because it allows us to understand and analyze real-world thermodynamic systems, such as heat engines and refrigerators. It also helps us make predictions about the behavior of gases under different conditions.

3. How is the polytropic process different from other thermodynamic processes?

The main difference between a polytropic process and other thermodynamic processes, such as isothermal and adiabatic processes, is that the exponent "n" in the PVn equation can vary. In other processes, the exponent is constant.

4. What are some examples of polytropic processes?

Some common examples of polytropic processes include the compression and expansion of air in a car engine, the expansion and compression of gas in a refrigerator, and the compression and expansion of gas in a pump or turbine.

5. How is the polytropic process represented on a thermodynamic diagram?

The polytropic process is typically represented as a curved line on a thermodynamic diagram, as opposed to a straight line for isothermal and adiabatic processes. The shape of the curve depends on the value of the exponent "n" and can range from a steep hyperbola to a nearly horizontal line.