High school: College Math or AP Math

In summary: But if you have a specific school in mind, or you're just really interested in taking a really challenging math class, I'd recommend looking into AP Calculus AB,BC.
logickills
I am a junior in high school. This year I am in the advanced trig/pre-calc course. Next year seniors who still want to participate in an advanced math course can choose to enroll in AP Calculus AB,BC. This is the normal order math classes are taken. Now I wanted to take calculus courses at a local community college this summer so I could get ahead. The course is Calculus and Analytical Geometry I (and it goes up to III). If I scheduled everything right by the time I go to college I should be in calculus and analytical geometry III. I have asked around however and a lot of the teachers have said that it would be smarter "for colleges" to choose AP calc instead.

My assumption however that being prepared for college is better; especially since I want to pursue a physics degre.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
logickills said:
I have asked around however and a lot of the teachers have said that it would be smarter "for colleges" to choose AP calc instead.
What do you think?
4 or 5 on BC calc gets you into cal 3 at my school, whereas they may not take the transfer credits from the community college. I think that's where your teachers are coming from. AP is standardized, so colleges know exactly what they are getting. Random math courses are a bit weirder. Do yourself a favor and look up the policies at the schools you want to go to, and call them up. See what'll transfer and what you expect to get.

In my experience, very few of the AP courses are actually comparable to a college class. Most of the ones I took counted for nothing once I got to college. Math may be one of the exceptions, though... I guess it depends on where you're going for college, and like story645 said, whether they'll accept transfer credits from the CC - or alternatively, whether they do placement tests in math. If you can contact the college you'd like to attend and figure that out, it might be a good idea.

If you don't have a specific college in mind, I guess it'd make sense to listen to your teachers.

What is the difference between high school math and college math?

The main difference between high school math and college math is the level of difficulty and depth of the material. College math typically covers more advanced topics and requires a higher level of critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, college math courses often move at a faster pace and require more independent work and study.

What is AP math and how is it different from regular high school math?

AP math stands for Advanced Placement math and is a program created by the College Board. It offers college-level courses to high school students and allows them to earn college credit by passing an exam at the end of the course. AP math courses are more rigorous and cover more material than regular high school math courses.

Which math should I take in high school to prepare for college?

If you are planning to attend college, it is recommended to take the highest level of math offered at your high school. This could be AP math or an honors math course. It is important to challenge yourself and take courses that will help you develop the necessary skills for college-level math courses.

What are the benefits of taking AP math courses in high school?

Taking AP math courses in high school has several benefits. It allows you to earn college credit, which can save you time and money in the long run. It also shows college admissions officers that you are challenging yourself and are prepared for the rigors of college-level coursework. Additionally, AP math courses can help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in many fields.

Can I take AP math courses even if I am not planning to major in a math-related field?

Yes, you can still take AP math courses even if you are not planning to major in a math-related field. These courses provide valuable skills and knowledge that can be applied in various fields and can help prepare you for college-level coursework in any subject. It is also a great way to challenge yourself and stand out to college admissions officers.