Kirchhoff's Laws: Solving Parallel Resistors w/ Example

• Thread starter raptik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary, the question asks if there is a more intuitive way to find the current on each wire in a circuit with three parallel wires, each with a resistor of 2, 3, and 4 ohms respectively. The solution involves finding the parallel resistance of the two smaller resistors (2 and 3 ohms) and using it to find the current in the larger resistor (4 ohms). This method can also be used for circuits with more than two parallel wires, but it requires finding the inverse sum of the resistors first.
raptik

Homework Statement

Say I have a circuit that splits into three parallel wires. They each have a resistors on them of 2, 3, and 4 ohms respectively. They reconnect and their final current is 10 Amps. Is there a more intuitive way to find the current on each wire based on the ratios of ohms, rather than finding the voltage and using that to find the individual currents?

I know if the there were two parallel wires with resistors one each, I could sum the two R's together and use that as a denominator and the resistor of one wire as the numerator and multiply this fraction with the final current to find the current in the opposite wire. I want to know if this would work on more than 2 parallel wires and how. If it can, could somebody please explain using the example above.

Homework Equations

The sum of the currents from each wire should equal the final current after they are reconnected.

Voltage is same across parallel resistors.

Sum of R (parallel): R-1= ((1/R1) + (1/R2)...)

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Sum R = 0.923 ohms
V = (10A)(0.923ohms) = 9.23V
I1 = (9.23V)/(2ohms) = 4.615A
I2 = (9.23V)/(3ohms) = 3.077A
I3 = (9.23V)/(4ohms) = 2.308A

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the resistance R' of the parallel combination of 2 and 3 ohm.
Then find the current in 4 ohm using the formula
I' = I*R'/(R + R')

oh! Duh. I can combine the other two resistors into one and compare it as a two wire problem. Too bad it's not intuitive enough as to just add and multiply things, since I need to find the inverse sum of the two resistors first. Thnx.

Last edited:

1. What are Kirchhoff's Laws?

Kirchhoff's Laws are a set of fundamental principles in electricity and circuit analysis that describe the behavior of current and voltage in circuits. These laws are used to calculate and predict the values of current and voltage in a circuit.

2. What is the difference between Kirchhoff's Current Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) states that the algebraic sum of currents entering and exiting a node (or junction) in a circuit must equal to zero. In contrast, Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) states that the algebraic sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal to zero. KCL is based on the principle of conservation of charge, whereas KVL is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

3. How do I apply Kirchhoff's Laws to solve circuits with parallel resistors?

To solve a circuit with parallel resistors using Kirchhoff's Laws, you need to first identify the parallel branches in the circuit. Then, you can use KCL to calculate the total current entering and exiting each node in the circuit. Finally, you can use KVL to calculate the total voltage around each closed loop in the circuit. By equating these values, you can solve for the unknown currents and voltages in the circuit.

4. Can you provide an example of solving parallel resistors using Kirchhoff's Laws?

Consider a circuit with two parallel resistors, R1 and R2, connected to a voltage source. Using KCL, we can determine that the total current entering the node where R1 and R2 meet is equal to the sum of the currents through each resistor. Using KVL, we can determine that the voltage across each resistor is equal to the source voltage. By equating these values, we can solve for the unknown currents and voltages in the circuit.

5. How do Kirchhoff's Laws relate to Ohm's Law?

Kirchhoff's Laws and Ohm's Law are complementary and often used together to analyze circuits. Ohm's Law states that the voltage across a resistor is directly proportional to the current flowing through it. This can be used to calculate the voltage or current in a circuit. Kirchhoff's Laws, on the other hand, provide a more comprehensive analysis of circuit behavior by considering the relationship between multiple components in a circuit.