I found a lepton mass ratio formula:

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical relationship between the masses of the electron, muon, and tau lepton, described by ln(mu/me) / (2pi-3/pi) = 1.000627 and ln(mt/me) / (3pi-4/pi) = 1.00031. The values of me, mu, and mt are given, as well as the upper limits for the masses of the electron, muon, and tau neutrinos. The conversation also delves into the possible implications of this relationship for other particles, such as quarks and glueballs.
Hans de Vries
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I found the following (for what it’s worth):

ln(mu/me) / (2pi-3/pi) = 1.000627
ln(mt/me) / (3pi-4/pi) = 1.00031

me = 0.51099892 MeV (+/-0.00000004)
mu = 105.658369 MeV (+/-0.000009)
mt = 1776.99000 MeV (+0.29 -0.26)

I've not seen it before. There's no theory behind it.
I was trying one, made a bug and stumbled on it.

Regards, Hans

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice. I'm really into Leptons. I like this post. :biggrin:

What exactly do you mean by me, mu, and mt?

Do you mean [itex]\nu_e[/itex], [itex]\nu_\mu[/itex], and [itex]\nu_\tau[/itex] for electron neutrino, muon neutrino, and tau neutrino respectively?

It relates the masses of the electron, the muon and the tau lepton.

ln(mu/me) is the natural logarithm of the ratio between the muon mass
and the electron mass. The value 2pi-3/pi describes it with an accuracy
of 0.06% The other one is twice as exact.

Regards, Hans de Vries

Anything with neutrinos and their mass ratios?

Unfortunately. there's not enough know about the neutriono masses.
For decades (until recently) it was believed that they had no mass at all.
This is what is known about the upper mass limits:

ve Mass < 3 eV
vu mass < 0.19 MeV
vt mass < 18.2 MeV

Regards, Hans

There's more here:

http://www.chip-architect.com/news/2004_07_27_The_Electron.html

Regards, Hans

Last edited by a moderator:
it is really intriguing.
I wonder if it applies to quarks to, perhaps changing -1/pi -> +1/pi, or directly.

For even more fun, try adding up the quark mass and see if it equals the proton mass.

Chronos, for sure it does not. You must account also the energy of force carriers, which form a glueball.

1. What is a lepton mass ratio formula?

A lepton mass ratio formula is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the masses of different types of leptons. These are subatomic particles that do not experience the strong nuclear force and include electrons, muons, and taus.

2. How is the lepton mass ratio formula calculated?

The lepton mass ratio formula is calculated using experimental data from particle accelerators and other experiments. It involves measuring the masses of different types of leptons and comparing them to each other to determine a ratio.

3. What is the significance of the lepton mass ratio formula?

The lepton mass ratio formula is significant because it provides insight into the fundamental structure of matter and the interactions between different types of particles. It also helps to validate and refine our understanding of the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. Can the lepton mass ratio formula change?

The lepton mass ratio formula is based on experimental data and is subject to change as new data is collected and analyzed. It is possible that future experiments could reveal new information that may require updates or revisions to the formula.

5. How does the lepton mass ratio formula relate to other formulas in physics?

The lepton mass ratio formula is related to other formulas in physics, such as the mass-energy equivalence equation (E=mc²) and the mass ratio formula for quarks. These formulas all help to describe the properties and behavior of different particles in the universe.