Hamiltonian Formalism: Equations of Motion for Lagrangians | Explained

• Thread starter vertices
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangians
In summary, we discussed the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalisms and how they relate to each other in terms of the independent variables used. We also looked at how the vector potential can affect the expressions for momentum in the Hamiltonian formalism. Additionally, we touched on the concept of choosing coordinates as a basis for a vector space in describing the state of a physical system.
vertices
I know this is getting really ridiculous but I have yet another question on Lagrangians...

This is our Lagrangian:

[tex]
L=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{\vec{x}}^{2}+e\vec{A}.\dot{\vec {x}}
[/tex]

Using the fact that:

[tex]\vec P= \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\vec{x}}}=m \dot{\vec{x}} + e\vec A[/tex]

and substituting P for [tex]\dot{\vec{x}}[/tex] *

We get this Hamiltonian:

[tex]H=\frac{1}{2m}(\vec P - e\vec A )^2[/tex]

(From * [tex]\dot{\vec{x}} = \frac{1}{m}(\vec P - e\vec A )[/tex], so presumably, the above Hamiltonian is equal to [tex]\frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2[/tex])

The question is to find the Equations of Motion in the Hamiltonian Formalism, ie. we need to determine [tex]\dot{\vec{x}}[/tex] and [tex]\dot{P}_i[/tex]:

We know [tex]\dot{\vec{x}} = \frac{1}{m}(\vec P - e\vec A )[/tex] from above.

Now:

[tex]\dot{P}_i = \frac{\partial H}{\partial x^i} = \frac{1}{2m}\frac{\partial [(\vec P - e\vec A )^2]}{\partial x^i} = \frac{m}{2}\frac{\partial [(\dot{\vec{x}} ^2]}{\partial x^i}=0[/tex]

HOWEVER the answer seems to be this:

[tex]\dot{P}_i = \frac{e}{m}(P-eA)_j \epsilon_{jki} B_k[/tex]

Can someone please explain, why P_dot is non zero?

Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
The short answer would be that it's because of the vector potential... if this is anything like your previous questions,
[tex]A_{i}=\epsilon_{ijk}B_{j}x_{k}[/tex]
It's actually [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] that are the independent variables, not [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]\dot{x}[/itex]. In the simple case, when there's no vector potential, both statements are equivalent, but that's not the case when the momentum has that spatial dependence in it.

diazona said:
The short answer would be that it's because of the vector potential... if this is anything like your previous questions,
[tex]A_{i}=\epsilon_{ijk}B_{j}x_{k}[/tex]
It's actually [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] that are the independent variables, not [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]\dot{x}[/itex]. In the simple case, when there's no vector potential, both statements are equivalent, but that's not the case when the momentum has that spatial dependence in it.

Thanks for the reply diazona. I must admit, I don't know very much about vector potentials - I will try reading up on this. I guess the key thing to take away from your post is that x_dot and x aren't independent in the case of vector potentials (a revelation to me!).

Can I ask whether:

[tex]

\dot{\vec{x}}^{2} = \sum_{i,j}\delta_{ij} \dot{\vec{x}}_i \dot{\vec{x}}_j

[/tex]

and whether we can write:

[tex]
(\vec P - e\vec A )^2=(\vec P.\vec P - 2e\vec P.\vec A + e^2 \vec A.\vec A)
[/tex]

Where [tex]\vec P.\vec P[/tex]

and [tex]\vec P.\vec A[/tex]
and [tex]\vec A.\vec A[/tex]

are just scalar products?

Because if I assume this, I get that:

[tex]
\frac{\partial H}{\partial x^i}=-2e\epsilon_{kji}B_j(P_k-eA_i)[/tex]

-not the expression I should get.

Thanks.

vertices said:
Thanks for the reply diazona. I must admit, I don't know very much about vector potentials - I will try reading up on this. I guess the key thing to take away from your post is that x_dot and x aren't independent in the case of vector potentials (a revelation to me!).
It's nothing specific about vector potentials - the vector potential [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] is just one of many possible things that can be in a Lagrangian or Hamiltonian. It might be better to say that when you switch from the Lagrangian to the Hamiltonian formalism, [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] stop being completely independent of each other, and [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] become the independent variables.

If you find this a little confusing, you're not alone... I'll see if I can come up with a better explanation.
vertices said:
Can I ask whether:

[tex]

\dot{\vec{x}}^{2} = \sum_{i,j}\delta_{ij} \dot{\vec{x}}_i \dot{\vec{x}}_j

[/tex]

and whether we can write:

[tex]
(\vec P - e\vec A )^2=(\vec P.\vec P - 2e\vec P.\vec A + e^2 \vec A.\vec A)
[/tex]

Where [tex]\vec P.\vec P[/tex]

and [tex]\vec P.\vec A[/tex]
and [tex]\vec A.\vec A[/tex]

are just scalar products?
Yep, that all seems reasonable to me...

vertices said:
Because if I assume this, I get that:

[tex]
\frac{\partial H}{\partial x^i}=-2e\epsilon_{kji}B_j(P_k-eA_i)[/tex]

-not the expression I should get.
hmm, how exactly did you get that? There's definitely something wrong if you're getting a sum that involves different unsummed indices in different terms.

Thanks for reassuring me of the basics there!

diazona said:
It's nothing specific about vector potentials - the vector potential [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] is just one of many possible things that can be in a Lagrangian or Hamiltonian. It might be better to say that when you switch from the Lagrangian to the Hamiltonian formalism, [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] stop being completely independent of each other, and [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] become the independent variables.

I kind of see this. Ofcourse the first thing I was taught in this crash course was that H=H(p,q) and L=L(q,q_dot).

hmm, how exactly did you get that? There's definitely something wrong if you're getting a sum that involves different unsummed indices in different terms.

I just spent ages typing out my solution, but as per usual I made I tiny mistake. And indeed, I got the right answer in the end.

Cool, glad you got it.

Here's something you might be interested in: hopefully you know that the state of a physical system is described by a point in phase space. For a 1D system, you have a 2D phase space, so the state of the system is described by two coordinates. But you can choose those coordinates to be either [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] (the Lagrangian way) or [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] (the Hamiltonian way). Or you could choose some set of generalized coordinates that are combinations of those.

The point is, basically what you're doing by picking coordinates is choosing a basis for a vector space. A particular state of a system corresponds to a vector in the space, which you can express as either
[tex]x\hat{x} + \dot{x}\hat{\dot{x}}[/tex]
(Lagrangian) or
[tex]x\hat{x} + p\hat{p}[/tex]
(Hamiltonian). I'm using letters with hats to denote basis vectors and letters without hats to denote the coordinates. Visually, it looks like this:
xpvectors.jpg

(okay, well that's kind of small, but the full-size version is clear)

When you take a partial derivative, like [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex], physically that corresponds to shifting the state of the system by some infinitesimal amount [itex]\mathrm{d}x[/itex] in the direction of increasing [itex]x[/itex] - that is, the [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] direction, which is to the right in these diagrams. You'll notice that if you take the Lagrangian view (right), [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] and [tex]\hat{\dot{x}}[/tex] are orthogonal, which means that when you adjust the state by that infinitesimal amount in the [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] direction, the [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] coordinate doesn't change at all. But the [itex]p[/itex] coordinate does. This is what it means to say that [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] (but not [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex]) are the independent variables in the Lagrangian formulation. Conversely, in the Hamiltonian view (on the left), when you adjust the state by [itex]\mathrm{d}x[/itex], the [itex]p[/itex] coordinate doesn't change, but [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] does. Thus [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] are the independent variables in the Hamiltonian formulation. (There are in fact two different meanings of "independent" being thrown around here, so it can easily get confusing!)

1. What is a Lagrangian?

A Lagrangian is a function used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of a system. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energy of the system and is used to calculate the equations of motion.

2. How is a Lagrangian different from a Hamiltonian?

A Lagrangian is a function of the position and velocity of a system, while a Hamiltonian is a function of the position and momentum. The equations of motion derived from a Lagrangian are equivalent to those derived from a Hamiltonian, but they use different variables.

3. What is the principle of least action and how does it relate to Lagrangians?

The principle of least action states that the path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action, which is the integral of the Lagrangian over time. This principle is used to derive the equations of motion from the Lagrangian.

4. Can Lagrangians be used in other fields besides classical mechanics?

Yes, Lagrangians can also be used in fields such as quantum mechanics and field theory. In these cases, the Lagrangian is used to describe the dynamics of the system and can be used to derive the equations of motion.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrangians?

Lagrangians are limited to describing systems with conservative forces, meaning that the total energy of the system remains constant. They also do not take into account dissipative forces such as friction. In these cases, other methods such as the Hamiltonian or numerical simulations may be more appropriate.