Why does an object have constant speed with Centripetal Force

In summary: It has been traveling through space for a long time, and will continue to do so until it is acted upon by another force. The tangential velocity is a result of this initial force, and it is balanced by the centripetal force, keeping the object in orbit. This is known as the principle of inertia, where an object in motion will continue in motion unless acted upon by an external force. In summary, the circular motion of a satellite is maintained by the balance between the centripetal force (provided by the weight of the satellite) and the tangential velocity (resulting from the initial impulse). This allows for a fixed distance from the Earth and a constant speed.
Masafi
Hi, I understand how centripetal force works and all. But I still don't understand, when looking at a satellite orbiting the Earth, the only force acting is its weight, which is in the direction of the Earth.

How does its circular motion start in the first place? If the only force there is is acting towards the Earth, why doesn't it just move towards the Earth? Surely something must happen to get the circular spin to begin, like with a hammer thrower, they spin it physically to begin the motion.

Why does a fixed distance remain from the Earth? And also, why does its speed not change at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
Masafi said:
Hi, I understand how centripetal force works and all. But I still don't understand, when looking at a satellite orbiting the Earth, the only force acting is its weight, which is in the direction of the Earth.

How does its circular motion start in the first place? If the only force there is is acting towards the Earth, why doesn't it just move towards the Earth? Surely something must happen to get the circular spin to begin, like with a hammer thrower, they spin it physically to begin the motion.

Why does a fixed distance remain from the Earth? And also, why does its speed not change at all?
In the case of the circular motion of a satellite, the weight of the satellite is also its centripetal force. In a circular motion with constant speed, the only force applied on the body is precisely the centripetal force, so all is coherent.

Why does the satellite does not fall over the Earth if the only force is toward the center of the Earth? Because as you said, something made it start to move in a circular motion. The original impulse has to be applied perpendicularly to the centripetal force. If it has enough impulse, the motion will be circular. If it has a too tiny impulse it will eventually fall over the Earth. If it has an impulse bigger than the one required for the circular motion, I think the motion will be elliptic, but I'm not 100% sure.

The speed is the magnitude of the velocity. In a circular motion, [tex]a_c=\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]. In the case of the satellite, [tex]a_c[/tex] ( and r) is constant, making that v (the speed, and not velocity) must be constant.

I'll let others to explain it better than I. Do you still have doubts?

fluidistic said:
In the case of the circular motion of a satellite, the weight of the satellite is also its centripetal force. In a circular motion with constant speed, the only force applied on the body is precisely the centripetal force, so all is coherent.

Why does the satellite does not fall over the Earth if the only force is toward the center of the Earth? Because as you said, something made it start to move in a circular motion. The original impulse has to be applied perpendicularly to the centripetal force. If it has enough impulse, the motion will be circular. If it has a too tiny impulse it will eventually fall over the Earth. If it has an impulse bigger than the one required for the circular motion, I think the motion will be elliptic, but I'm not 100% sure.

The speed is the magnitude of the velocity. In a circular motion, [tex]a_c=\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]. In the case of the satellite, [tex]a_c[/tex] ( and r) is constant, making that v (the speed, and not velocity) must be constant.

I'll let others to explain it better than I. Do you still have doubts?

Well, why does the magnitude of the velocity, i.e. the speed, remain constant? Why doesn't it accelerate closer towards the Earth?

If something has a force, say a person dragging something, why does that go towards the person, whilst in a circular motion, it spins around?

Masafi said:
Why doesn't it accelerate closer towards the Earth?
Well, it does. But its tangential velocity carries it past Earth. An orbiting body could be viewed as a falling body that keeps missing its target.

DaveC426913 said:
Well, it does. But its tangential velocity carries it past Earth. An orbiting body could be viewed as a falling body that keeps missing its target.

And why doesn't it hit the target? Why is there a tangential acting velocity?

Masafi said:
And why doesn't it hit the target? Why is there a tangential acting velocity?

The object was initially imbued with it.

1. How does centripetal force contribute to an object's constant speed?

Centripetal force is a force that acts towards the center of a circular motion. This force is responsible for changing the direction of an object's velocity, keeping it moving in a circular path. Without centripetal force, the object would continue moving in a straight line, resulting in a changing speed. Therefore, centripetal force is necessary for an object to maintain a constant speed in circular motion.

2. What factors affect the magnitude of centripetal force?

The magnitude of centripetal force depends on the mass of the object, the speed of the object, and the radius of the circular path. As these factors increase, the magnitude of centripetal force also increases. Additionally, the direction of the force is always towards the center of the circle.

3. Can an object have constant speed without centripetal force?

No, an object cannot have constant speed in circular motion without centripetal force. Without this force, the object would continue moving in a straight line, resulting in a changing speed. Therefore, centripetal force is necessary for an object to maintain a constant speed in circular motion.

4. Is centripetal force a real force or a fictitious force?

Centripetal force is a real force that acts on an object in circular motion. It is not a fictitious force, as it is a result of a physical interaction between objects. Some examples of centripetal force include gravitational force, tension force, and frictional force.

5. How is centripetal force different from centrifugal force?

Centripetal force and centrifugal force are often confused, but they are actually two different concepts. Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular motion, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather a result of the object's inertia trying to continue moving in a straight line.