What is the correct sign convention for the change in internal energy?

In summary, the difference between Q-W=Delta U and Q+W=Delta U lies in the sign conventions for work. In the former, work is positive when the system does work on its surroundings, while in the latter, work is positive when the surroundings do work on the system. Both equations are valid as long as the correct sign convention is applied.
taculator
In my book it says that the change in internal energy = Q -W
Yet, my teacher says that its Q + W
He says that it's reversible due to the signs... but i don't know what that means... can somebody give me an example?

Physics news on Phys.org
I also know it as Q-W = Delta U.

I can only guess he means it could be Q + W if the figure you have for work is negative, Ie, work done to the system?

Q - -W = Delta U? As a minus and a minus is a plus?

or say

10 - -5 = 15

Hope this helps.

The entire difference is in sign conventions; the sign merely depends on your method of thinking on how the system does work on its surroundings.

In the formula delta u=Q-W, W is positive when the system does work on its surroundings and negative when the surroundings do work on the system. For instance, if a balloon is heated, we gain heat (+Q), and the balloon expands, doing work on the surrounding atmosphere (+W). If we would plug this into the equation, we find that the change in internal energy equals the gain of energy from heat minus the energy lost when the system does work.

In the other equation, delta u=Q+W. In this equation, it is assumed that when the surroundings do work on the system, the system gains energy and W is positive. When the system does work on the surroundings, the system loses energy and W is negative. In our expanding balloon example, then, we have energy gained from heat (+Q) minus energy lost through work done by the system (-W).

Either equation works as long as you remember the sign convention. Personally, I prefer the Q+W formula because I find it easier to remember that +W means gaining energy and -W means losing energy, but that's just me. Hope that helps clear things up.

1. What is the definition of "Change in internal energy"?

The change in internal energy refers to the difference between the initial and final states of a system's internal energy. It can be calculated by subtracting the initial energy from the final energy.

2. How is "Change in internal energy" related to heat and work?

According to the first law of thermodynamics, the change in internal energy is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. This means that the change in internal energy can be affected by the transfer of heat and the performance of work on the system.

3. What factors can cause a change in internal energy?

There are several factors that can cause a change in internal energy, such as the transfer of heat, the performance of work, chemical reactions, and changes in the system's volume or composition. Additionally, changes in temperature and pressure can also contribute to a change in internal energy.

4. How is "Change in internal energy" measured?

The change in internal energy can be measured using a device called a calorimeter, which is designed to measure the heat exchanged between a system and its surroundings. It can also be calculated using thermodynamic equations and data from experiments.

5. What is the significance of "Change in internal energy" in thermodynamics?

The concept of change in internal energy is important in thermodynamics because it helps us understand the behavior of different systems and how they respond to changes in their surroundings. It also allows us to quantify the energy changes that occur in various processes and helps us make predictions about the behavior of systems under different conditions.