Trigonometry Help: Evaluating sin2y & cos2y

In summary, to evaluate the expressions sin2y and cos2y, you first need to find the values of sin y and cos y. Using the given information of sin x and sec y, you can draw two right triangles and determine the values of sin y and cos y. Then, you can use the trigonometric identities sin2y = 2sin y*cos y and cos2y = cos^2 y - sin^2 y to evaluate the expressions.
huntingrdr

Homework Statement

If sin x = 1/3 and sec y = 5/4, where x and y lie between 0 and pi/2, evaluate the expression.

sin2y

cos2y

Homework Equations

2siny = 2siny*cosy?

cos2y = cos^2 y - sin^2 y?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think sin2y goes to 2siny*cosy. I know what sin x is but how do I find sin y? The answer should be 24/25 for siny, but not sure how to get it. Not sure what the answer is or how to get it for cos2y.

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing you should do is to draw two right triangles, one with an angle x and the other with an angle y. In the first triangle, you have that sin x = 1/3, so make the side opposite angle x 1 unit, and make the hypotenuse 3 units. You should be able to figure out the length of the side adjacent to angle x, so you can determine cos x.

For the other triangle, you're given that sec y = 5/4, so cos y = 4/5 (sec y = 1/(cos y)). In that triangle, label the hypotenuse 5 units and the adjacent side 4 units. What does the side opposite y need to be? Once you find it, you can find sin y.

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your trigonometry homework. To evaluate sin2y and cos2y, we first need to use the given information to find the values of sin y and cos y.

Using the identity sin^2 y + cos^2 y = 1, we can solve for sin y as follows:

sin^2 y + cos^2 y = 1

(1/3)^2 + cos^2 y = 1

1/9 + cos^2 y = 1

cos^2 y = 1 - 1/9

cos^2 y = 8/9

Taking the square root of both sides, we get:

cos y = √(8/9)

cos y = 2√2/3

Similarly, using the identity sec y = 1/cos y, we can solve for cos y as follows:

sec y = 5/4

1/cos y = 5/4

cos y = 4/5

Now, we can plug these values into the expressions for sin2y and cos2y as follows:

sin2y = 2sin y * cos y

= 2 * (1/3) * (2√2/3)

= 4√2/9

cos2y = cos^2 y - sin^2 y

= (4/5)^2 - (1/3)^2

= 16/25 - 1/9

= 135/225

= 9/15

= 3/5

Therefore, the final answers for sin2y and cos2y are 4√2/9 and 3/5, respectively. I hope this helps you understand the process for evaluating these expressions. Good luck with your homework!

What is the formula for evaluating sin2y and cos2y?

The formula for evaluating sin2y and cos2y is: sin2y = 2sinycosy and cos2y = cos2y - sin2y.

What is the purpose of evaluating sin2y and cos2y?

Evaluating sin2y and cos2y helps us find the exact values of sine and cosine for a given angle, which is useful in solving trigonometric equations and applications in science and engineering.

How do I evaluate sin2y and cos2y for a specific angle?

To evaluate sin2y and cos2y for a specific angle, you can either use a calculator or refer to a trigonometric table. Simply substitute the angle value in the formula and solve for the exact values.

Can I use the double angle identities to evaluate sin2y and cos2y?

Yes, you can use the double angle identities to evaluate sin2y and cos2y, as they are derived from the original formula and can simplify the process of solving for the exact values.

Are there any special cases when evaluating sin2y and cos2y?

Yes, there are special cases when evaluating sin2y and cos2y, such as when the angle is 0, 90, 180, or 270 degrees. In these cases, the values of sin2y and cos2y may be simplified or equal to 0, 1, or -1, depending on the specific angle.