Solving the Electrochemistry Lab Problem: Determining Na2S2O3 Concentration

In summary: You are correct, you do not need to use 0.01 mol/L to find the amount of moles in 20 mL of the potassium iodate. Instead, you can use the molarity of the solution to find the amount of moles. There is 20 mL of 0.01 M potassium iodate mixed with 25 mL of water, 2 mL of 3M H2SO4 and 3 mL of 1M KI. This would make the volume of the diluted solution 50 mL. Therefore, the molarity of the solution would be 0.50 mol/L. So, the amount of moles of potassium iodate in 20 mL of the diluted solution would be 5 mol.
chemnerd666
Hello all this is my problem:

Homework Statement

I have to determine the concentration of a sodium thiosulfate solution used to titrate a potassium iodate solution. The only variable that is known is the concentration of the potassium iodate solution, 0.01 mol/L. There is 20 mL of 0.01 M potassium iodate mixed with 25 mL of water, 2 mL of 3M H2SO4 and 3 mL of 1M KI. This is the analyte. The titration required 12.35 mL of the sodium thiosulfate solution to reach endpoint.

Homework Equations

here is the reaction equation for the titration (note: K is omitted because it plays no role in the reaction):IO3-(aq) + 6 S2O32-(aq) + 6 H+(aq)→ I-(aq) + 3 S4O62-(aq) +3 H2O(l)

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to determine the molarity of sodium thiosulfate, the molarity of the 50 mL potassium thiosulfate must be determined, then the amount of moles can be determined from that and using stoichiometric ratios, the moles of sodium thiosulfate can be determined and so forth... I have tried to use the equation C1V1=C2V2 but i get a weird answer:
C2= (0.01M)(1L)/(0.05L) = 0.2 M.
There is no way this can be correct as why would the concentration in a diluted solution be greater than the initial concentration?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as "standard equations". You have to write correct reaction equation first, then use stoichiometry to solve the problem. That's the only correct approach.

No idea what you are trying to calculate with C1V1=C2V2. Where did you get 1L from?

--

Borek said:
There is no such thing as "standard equations". You have to write correct reaction equation first, then use stoichiometry to solve the problem. That's the only correct approach.

No idea what you are trying to calculate with C1V1=C2V2. Where did you get 1L from?

--
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - buffer calculator, stoichiometry calculator
www.ph-meter.info - ph meter, ph electrode

C1 is the initial concentration of the solution of potassium iodate, 0.01 mol/L, V1 is the initial volume of the solution, I assumed it was 1L, 20 mL of potassium iodate was diluted with 25 mL distilled water and 2 mL of 3M H2SO4 and 3mL of 1M KI were added. This would make the volume of the diluted solution 50 mL. C2 is the final concentration of the potassium iodate solution and V2 is the final volume, which I thought would be 50 mL. Now that I look at it, this equation may not really apply to this situation, I am just unsure about how to calculate the moles of potassium iodate.

chemnerd666 said:
There is 20 mL of 0.01 M potassium iodate mixed with

Doesn't matter what it was mixed with - this is your amount of iodate used for titration. Now, get the correct reaction equation, calculate correct amount of iodine produced, caculate amount of thiosulphate and so on.

--
methods

Thank you for your help :)

1. How do I calculate the concentration of Na2S2O3 in my electrochemistry lab?

To calculate the concentration of Na2S2O3, you will need to use the formula C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration of your sodium thiosulfate solution, V1 is the volume of the solution used in the titration, C2 is the concentration of your titrant (usually iodine solution), and V2 is the volume of the titrant used. This formula is based on the principle of equivalent concentrations.

2. What is the purpose of titration in this lab?

The purpose of titration in this lab is to determine the concentration of Na2S2O3 in your solution by adding a known concentration of titrant (iodine solution) until the reaction is complete. This allows you to calculate the concentration of your unknown solution based on the volume of titrant used.

3. How do I know when the reaction is complete during titration?

The reaction is complete when the color of the solution changes from yellow to colorless. This indicates that all of the sodium thiosulfate has reacted with the iodine solution and there is excess iodine remaining.

4. What is the purpose of adding starch indicator during titration?

The purpose of adding starch indicator is to help visually determine when the reaction is complete. Starch reacts with iodine to form a blue-black color, so when the solution turns blue-black, it is an indication that all of the thiosulfate has reacted and the titration is complete.

5. How do I ensure accurate results in this lab?

To ensure accurate results in this lab, it is important to accurately measure the volume of both your sodium thiosulfate solution and titrant. Additionally, make sure to mix the solutions thoroughly during titration and record your measurements carefully. It is also important to repeat the titration multiple times and calculate an average to minimize errors.