Grad school with liberal arts degree

In summary, if you have a degree from a liberal arts college, you may be able to get into a science or engineering grad program with some qualifying exams. However, based on your background, you may not be able to pass the exams without some additional preparation.
Switters12
Can I get into a science/engineering grad program with a liberal arts degree? If this is is possible, I assume that one would have to complete a certain number of prerequisites. Is there some kind of standard list? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean a degree from a liberal arts college, or some kind of 'general studies' degree? I'm in grad school with a physics major from a liberal arts college, so it's not impossible - actually, most of the other grad students in my program attended liberal arts colleges. But you do need a good deal of background in physics or engineering to enter a grad program on the same topic - if you know you're interested in it, just major in it.

here's what caltech says are minimum entry requirements:
Mechanics at about the level of Goldstein's Classical Mechanics;
electromagnetism at the level of Reitz and Milford's Foundations of Electromagnetic Theory;
atomic and nuclear physics at the level of R.B. Leighton's Modern Physics;
introductory quantum mechanics at the level of Dicke and Wittke's Introduction to Quantum Mechanics;
advanced calculus at the level of T.M. Apostol's Mathematical Analysis

Switters12 said:
Can I get into a science/engineering grad program with a liberal arts degree? If this is is possible, I assume that one would have to complete a certain number of prerequisites. Is there some kind of standard list? Thanks.

I'm guessing that you're talking about grad programs in a US Institution. If that is so, you DO know that most of these science or engineering grad programs have some kind of a qualifying exams that you have to pass to continue with your candidacy, don't you? Now think about your ability to pass that exam based on your background. It isn't just the prerequisite.

Zz.

1. Can I get into grad school with a liberal arts degree?

Yes, you can definitely get into grad school with a liberal arts degree. While some graduate programs may have specific requirements for undergraduate majors, many programs value a diverse range of academic backgrounds. Your liberal arts degree can provide you with a strong foundation in critical thinking, communication, and problem-solving skills that are highly sought after in graduate studies.

2. Will my liberal arts degree limit my options for grad school?

No, your liberal arts degree should not limit your options for grad school. While some fields may require a specific undergraduate major, many graduate programs look for well-rounded students with diverse academic backgrounds. Your liberal arts degree can demonstrate your ability to think critically and adapt to different subjects, making you a strong candidate for graduate studies in various fields.

3. How can I make my liberal arts degree more relevant for grad school?

One way to make your liberal arts degree more relevant for grad school is to choose courses or electives that align with your desired graduate program. For example, if you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in psychology, taking courses in sociology, statistics, and research methods can help you develop the necessary skills and knowledge. Additionally, you can also gain relevant experience through internships, research projects, or extracurricular activities.

4. What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate degree with a liberal arts background?

There are several benefits to pursuing a graduate degree with a liberal arts background. Firstly, your liberal arts education has likely provided you with a broad range of skills that are applicable to various fields and can make you a well-rounded candidate for graduate studies. Additionally, many graduate programs value diversity and look for students with different academic backgrounds. Your liberal arts degree can also help you develop critical thinking, communication, and problem-solving skills that are essential for success in graduate school and beyond.

5. Will I be at a disadvantage in grad school compared to students with more specific undergraduate degrees?

No, you will not be at a disadvantage in grad school compared to students with more specific undergraduate degrees. While students with a more focused undergraduate degree may have a deeper understanding of a particular subject, your liberal arts education has likely provided you with critical thinking and analytical skills that can be applied to different fields. Additionally, graduate programs often offer foundational courses for students from diverse academic backgrounds to ensure that all students have the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed.