My proof involving Pythagorean’s Theorem

In summary, the post discusses a proof for the equation (abc)^2 = (c^6-a^6-b^6)/3 in a right triangle. The solution involves using Pythagorean's Theorem to obtain solutions for c^2 and c^6, and then showing how the left hand side is identical to the right hand side. However, there are some errors and missing steps in the proof that need to be addressed.
Jadehaan
I REALIZE THAT THIS IS A DUPLICATE. MY APOLOGIZES. PLEASE IGNORE.

Homework Statement

Let a, b, and c be lengths of sides of triangle T, where a ≤ b ≤ c.
Prove that if T is a right triangle, then (abc)2=(c6-a6-b6)/3

Homework Equations

If T is a right triangle, then Pythagorean’s Theorem states:
The sum of the squares of the lengths of the sides of a right triangle is equal to the square of the length of the hypotenuse. That is a2+b2=c2, where c is the hypotenuse.

The Attempt at a Solution

We assume the given equation and using Pythagorean’s Theorem, we obtain solutions for c2 and c6:
We substitute these results into the original equation.
This produces an equation where the left hand side is identical to the right hand side.
Since these terms are equal, it follows that the original equation holds true for a right triangle.

This is what I have. I am curious to if the proof is correct/acceptable.

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your attempt at a solution is on the right track, but there are a few errors and missing steps in your proof.

Firstly, in your statement of the Pythagorean's Theorem, it should be a^2 + b^2 = c^2, not a2+b2=c2. This is important to note because it affects the rest of your proof.

Next, when you substitute c^2 and c^6 into the original equation, you should end up with (abc)^2 = (c^6-a^6-b^6)/3, not (abc)^2 = (c^6-a^6-b^6). The 3 in the denominator is important and should not be left out.

Additionally, you should explain how you obtained the solutions for c^2 and c^6 using Pythagorean's Theorem. This can be done by showing the steps of the theorem and substituting a^2 + b^2 for c^2.

Lastly, you need to show how the left hand side is identical to the right hand side, as you have mentioned. This can be done by showing the steps of simplifying the equation and arriving at the same result on both sides.

Overall, your proof is on the right track but needs some clarification and additional steps. I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

What is Pythagorean's Theorem and how is it used?

Pythagorean's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states the relationship between the sides of a right triangle. It states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem is commonly used to find the length of missing sides in a right triangle.

What is the history behind Pythagorean's Theorem?

Pythagorean's Theorem is named after the ancient Greek mathematician Pythagoras, who is credited with discovering it. However, there is evidence that this relationship between the sides of a right triangle was known to earlier civilizations such as the Babylonians and the Egyptians.

Can Pythagorean's Theorem be used in non-right triangles?

No, Pythagorean's Theorem can only be applied to right triangles. In non-right triangles, the relationship between the sides is determined by the Law of Cosines or the Law of Sines.

How can Pythagorean's Theorem be proven?

There are several ways to prove Pythagorean's Theorem, including using geometric proofs, algebraic proofs, and even visual proofs. One of the most famous geometric proofs is the one using similar triangles, where the area of the squares on the sides of the triangle are compared.

What are some real-world applications of Pythagorean's Theorem?

Pythagorean's Theorem has numerous real-world applications, including in architecture, engineering, and navigation. It is used to calculate distances, heights, and angles in various structures and designs. It is also used in GPS technology to determine the distance between two points on a map.