Choose the Right Water Pump for Your Water Pip Line

In summary, if you have a water tank with a specific capacity and you know the elevation of the water tanks and the location of the pump, you can use the Bournoulli equation to calculate the pump head needed.
Eng_Luqman
Need to know the formula that i can use it to choose Water Pump ... or suitable ((( Water Pump ))) For any water pip line

if i have known water tank capacity

if i have two water reservoirs and need both to not to reach empty conditions

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you describe the system a bit more? Pumping from where to where? How fast? How much water? How far (horiz & vertical)?

Perhaps the Bournoulli Equation? Figure out how much of a pressure head you need and then check pump ratings that can handle that.

...and generally, using the info Phobos mentioned, you'd pick a pump straight from a performance graph. The only math is in calculating the head.

Is this an open system? Are both tanks at the same elevation? Where is the pump in relation to the tanks?

The elevation of the tanks and their location relative to the pump is important in an open system, which is a system open to the atmosphere.

If the system is open, you need to calculate:

The suction head (height of the water in the tank relative to the pump inlet, the suction pipe friction losses including the pipe fittings and valves

The discharge head (height to the discharge opening in the discharge tank relative to the pump outlet, the discharge pipe friction losses including the pipe fittings and valves).

Then you subtract positive suction head from the discharge head or add any negative suction head to the discharge head and the difference becomes the total pump head required.

If the system is closed (circulating) than changes in elevation do not matter and all you are calculating is the head loss in the piping.

Also, if the system is open, you have to be careful not to exceed the NPSH (Net Positive Suction Head) that the pump can handle otherwise you can cause the pump to cavitate (create flash steam in the pump that can damage the impeller). This is particularly important if you are dealing with hot water. If the pump is located below the suction side water level this should not be a problem.

1. What types of water pumps are available for water pipeline systems?

There are three main types of water pumps used for water pipeline systems: centrifugal, submersible, and turbine pumps. Each type has its own unique features and is suitable for different types of water pipelines.

2. How do I determine the right size of water pump for my water pipeline?

The right size of water pump for your water pipeline depends on the flow rate and pressure requirements of your specific system. It is important to consult with a professional or use an online calculator to determine the correct size for your needs.

3. What factors should I consider when choosing a water pump for my water pipeline?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a water pump for your water pipeline include the type of pump, flow rate and pressure requirements, power source, durability and reliability, and maintenance needs. It is also important to consider the cost and energy efficiency of the pump.

4. How do I ensure the longevity of my water pump for my water pipeline?

To ensure the longevity of your water pump, it is important to perform regular maintenance, such as checking for any leaks or blockages, changing filters and lubricating moving parts. It is also important to use the correct pump for your specific water pipeline system and to avoid overloading or running the pump dry.

5. Can I install the water pump myself or do I need a professional?

The installation of a water pump for a water pipeline system can be complex and should be done by a professional to ensure proper installation and functionality. It is important to consult with a professional before attempting to install a water pump yourself.