I lost my calculator batteries in a flood .

In summary, Manu lost his calculator batteries in a flood, and was able to figure out the answer using equations from a previous thread.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I lost my calculator batteries in a flood...

What's this equal?

[tex]\left(\frac{256^{16}-1}{256^{16}}\right)^{256^{16}}[/tex]

a) 2.178
b) 1.000
c) .3679
d) 0.000

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it's obviously not one, because the number inside the parentheses is not one.

It's also obviously not zero for the same reason.

It's not 2.178, because the number inside the parentheses is less than one, and multiplying a fraction smaller than one by another fraction smaller than one must result in a fraction smaller than one.

By the process of elimination, it must be 0.3679.

- Warren

i get 1/e...i could be missing something in my work...or maybe even forgetting my calculus lol...

y = [(x-1)/x]^x
lny = x[ln(x-1) - lnx]
lny = ln(x-1 / x) / 1/x
using lhopitals...

lny = (x/(x-1))(1/x^2) / -1/x^2
lny = -x/ x-1 as x approaches infinity...lny = -1 so y = 1/e

But i may be wrong since i am assuming x goes to infinity while its 256^16.

Manu

As the number x in

[tex]\left(\frac{x-1}{x}\right)^{x}[/tex]

approaches infinity, the result definitely does approach 1/e. Since 256^16 has plenty of significant digits, 1/e is close enough to an accuracy of only four decimals. :smile:

- Warren

And that's what 0.3679 is !

Hi Warren,

im such a dummy, lol, for 1/e in my windows calc. i kept using 2.178 which is answer a) for the constant e. Finally i looked e in my pocket handbook and found the right one, so it is answer c. And btw how did you use equation in the posts? Please do let me know tnx Warren.

Manu

Manu2380 said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997 And btw how did you use equation in the posts? Please do let me know tnx Warren.
The short answer is simply to click on the images to see their source code. You can just copy and paste the source into your own messages to include those equations. You'll figure out how it works in no time by example.

The long answer is to read this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

- Warren

Manu, we have Chroot to thank for LaTex on PF.

No one silly enough to unthinkingly punch this in on their calculator, huh? :tongue2:

JFruit said:
:redface: No, i did, i readd tah title adn did the same but i got 0 in the end hmm!
:wink:

Strange :bugeye: I would have thought you'd get 1 :grumpy:

Would it not be d) 0.000 because in the parantheses would be a decimal and therefore as it grew exponentially it would lessen infinitely towards 0, and 0.000 just means that whatever number rounded to three decimal places would be 0? Or did y'all already establish that?

BobG said:
No one silly enough to unthinkingly punch this in on their calculator, huh? :tongue2:
>_< ..., whistles and looks over shoulder..

The answer is something like .9999999999999999999999999999999 but has many more nines than i can fit. So this rounds to 1.000, since the answers go to 3 decimals.

That is the answer.

My mistake, the real answer is more like 0.000000000000000000000001 to many more decimal places, so it rounds to 0.00.

That is the final answer.

Tau:

It is neither 1 nor 0. Please read the earlier posts in the thread.

- Warren

What should I do if my calculator batteries were lost in a flood?

If your calculator batteries were lost in a flood, the first step is to remove the batteries from the calculator and dry them off with a towel. Then, let them air dry for at least 24 hours before attempting to use them again. If the batteries were submerged for a long period of time, it is recommended to replace them with new ones.

Can I still use my calculator without batteries?

No, a calculator requires batteries to function. Without batteries, it will not turn on or perform any calculations.

Are there any potential hazards from using calculator batteries that were lost in a flood?

Yes, there is a risk of electric shock if the batteries were damaged or if there is any remaining water inside the calculator. It is important to properly dry and inspect the batteries before attempting to use them again.

Is it safe to use my calculator after the batteries were submerged in a flood?

It depends on the severity of the flood and the condition of the calculator. If the calculator shows any signs of damage or malfunction, it is best to replace it. If the calculator appears to be functioning normally, it should be safe to use after properly cleaning and drying it.

Can I prevent my calculator batteries from being damaged in a flood?

To prevent damage to your calculator batteries in a flood, it is recommended to store your calculator in a waterproof container or keep it in a high place during a flood. If your calculator does get submerged in water, it is important to remove the batteries as soon as possible and follow the steps for drying and cleaning them.