Power & Stair Climbing: Reviewing Old Homework

In summary, assuming a maximum energy expenditure of 250W and 20% efficiency, it would take approximately 34.3 seconds for a 50kg person to run up four flights of stairs, each 3.5m high. However, there may be an error in the calculation involving the number 4.
Rentheil

Homework Statement

Assume that the maximum rate at which your body can expend energy is 250W. Assuming a 20 percent efficiency for the conversion of chemical energy to mechanical energy, estimate how quickly you can run up four flights of stairs with each flight 3.5m high.
Teacher told us to assume 50kg.

Homework Equations

[tex]Power = \frac{dW}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]Efficiency = \frac{Work out}{Work In}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{dW}{dt} = \frac{20}{100} x 250[/tex]

[tex]\frac{mgh}{t} = \frac{20}{100} x 250 x 4[/tex]

[tex] t = \frac{mgh}{200} = \frac{(50)(9.81)(14)}{200} = 34.3s[/tex]

The answer nearly matches the books, which did not give a mass to use. My problem is i can't remember where the 4 came from. I know its four flights of stairs but i wouldn't think to worry about that if i have the total height. I was thinking the Power would be constant instead of 1/4 for each set of stairs, which appears to be what i did, 50W per 3.5m. Otherwise it would be something like mgh/50. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

i think the four is an error

I agree the 4 should not be there. Also, a healthy human body is capable of expending much higher power than 250W.

1. What is the purpose of reviewing old homework on power and stair climbing?

The purpose of reviewing old homework on power and stair climbing is to reinforce and solidify the concepts and techniques learned in previous assignments. This can help improve understanding and retention of the material, as well as identify any areas that may need further review.

2. How does power relate to stair climbing?

Power is the rate at which work is done, and it is directly related to the energy and effort required to climb stairs. The more power an individual can produce, the faster and more efficiently they can climb stairs.

3. What factors affect power when climbing stairs?

Several factors can affect an individual's power when climbing stairs, including their overall fitness level, the angle and height of the stairs, and their body weight. Additionally, factors such as age, gender, and muscle mass can also play a role in determining an individual's power output.

4. How can reviewing old homework on power and stair climbing improve physical performance?

By reviewing old homework on power and stair climbing, individuals can gain a better understanding of the mechanics and techniques involved in efficient stair climbing. This can lead to improved physical performance by allowing individuals to optimize their movements and conserve energy while climbing stairs.

5. Is stair climbing a good form of exercise for improving power?

Yes, stair climbing is an excellent form of exercise for improving power. It is a full-body workout that engages multiple muscle groups and requires a significant amount of energy and effort. Regular stair climbing can help increase muscle strength and endurance, leading to improved power and physical performance.