Harvesting Fission Fragment Energy with Magnetic Fields

In summary, the conversation discusses a new and innovative design for a nuclear reactor that uses magnetic fields to harvest the kinetic energy of fission fragments and convert it into electrical energy. It also addresses the issue of heat build-up through the use of a dusty plasma. The idea of adapting this design for a nuclear rocket is brought up, along with questions about the possibility of transferring momentum through magnetic fields and the potential efficiency of such a conversion. The conversation also touches on the potential benefits of this design for fission-fusion hybrid technology.
sanman
Here's a new and interesting design for a nuclear reactor which I've never seen before:

http://www.rbsp.info/rbs/RbS/PDF/aiaa05.pdf

It's harvesting the kinetic energy of fission fragments via magnetic fields, converting it directly into electrical energy. They say that past obstacles over heat build-up are addressed by having the fuel as a dusty plasma, which has high enough surface area to alleviate heat build-up through thermionic emission.

I wonder if this could somehow be adapted to a nuclear rocket design? Perhaps instead of the magnetic fields converting the fission fragment kinetic energy into electricity, the magnetic fields could instead somehow directly transfer the kinetic energy of the fission fragments to a propellant flowstream.

If you create a perturbation in a magnetic field, is it possible to have it propagate to something else also in that field?
If you have these fission fragments shooting through a magnetic field, can their kinetic energy be transposed onto other objects (particles) via that magnetic field? If so, then I wonder what the conversion efficiency would be?

I've also read about conjectured fission-fusion hybrid designs, and presumably they too would benefit from some mechanism to directly convert the fission fragment kinetic energy more into kinetic energy of hydrogen for fusion purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
We know that a magnet supported by the non-converging magnetic field of a superconductor can experience the Meissner Effect, because any drop from its equilibrium position induces a current in the superconductor and an associated field increase to push the magnet back into position.

I'm wondering if a superconductive magnet could similarly be capable of transferring momentum from one flowstream to another (eg. from hurtling fission fragments to a mass of hydrogen)

Wow, this design looks really interesting! I've never seen anything like it before. The idea of harvesting the kinetic energy of fission fragments through magnetic fields is definitely innovative. And the concept of using a dusty plasma to alleviate heat build-up is intriguing.

I can definitely see how this design could potentially be adapted for a nuclear rocket. Instead of converting the kinetic energy of fission fragments into electricity, it could be used to propel a propellant flowstream. That would be a game-changer for space travel!

As for your question about perturbations in magnetic fields, I'm not an expert in this field, but from my understanding, it is possible for a perturbation in a magnetic field to propagate to something else in that field. And if the fission fragments are shooting through a magnetic field, it's definitely possible for their kinetic energy to be transposed onto other objects or particles through that field. The conversion efficiency would depend on various factors, but it's definitely worth exploring.

I've also heard about fission-fusion hybrid designs, and I agree that this type of technology could greatly benefit from a mechanism to directly convert fission fragment kinetic energy into kinetic energy for fusion purposes. It's exciting to think about the potential applications of this design in various fields. Thanks for sharing!

1. What is "harvesting fission fragment energy with magnetic fields"?

Harvesting fission fragment energy with magnetic fields is a proposed method of using magnetic fields to capture and convert the energy released by fission reactions in nuclear reactors.

2. How does this method work?

In this method, the fission fragments (highly energetic particles released during fission reactions) are directed by magnetic fields towards a conversion chamber. The energy of the fission fragments is then converted into electrical energy through a process called induction.

3. What are the potential benefits of this technology?

This technology has the potential to be more efficient and cost-effective than traditional methods of harvesting nuclear energy. It also produces less nuclear waste and has a lower risk of nuclear accidents.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations to this method?

One of the main challenges is designing and implementing the complex magnetic fields necessary to capture the fast-moving fission fragments. Additionally, the conversion process requires highly specialized materials that can withstand the intense radiation and heat produced by fission reactions.

5. Is this technology currently being used?

This technology is still in the research and development phase and has not yet been implemented in commercial nuclear reactors. However, there have been successful experiments and simulations that have shown the potential feasibility of this method.