Calculating Energy Loss in Conductors: A Beginner's Guide

In summary, the voltage drop in a cable can be found (approximately) with this equation: V = IRcos\phi + IXsin\phi.
TyPR124
This is probably a dumb question, but I only need to know for a program I would like to write.

Basically, on average (I realize there are a lot of factors involved, but a rough estimate is all I need), how much energy dissipates over a specific length of a conductor (power lines, whatever they are made of)? (I don't know what an appropriate length would be, as I have no idea at all how far AC can travel. I have a vague idea of DC, but that is only because I am into networking.)

Also, since W=V*I, and I'm assuming that I shouldn't decrease, then V is what decreases?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You would need the resistance of the conductor

R = ρ * l / A

Where ρ is the specific resistance of the material (1.72×10^-8 Ωm for copper), l is the length of the conductor and A is the cross-sectional area.

This conductor will dissipate P = I²R watts if you send a current of I amperes through it. For time-varying current, replace I with the rms-value.

Put this in google and read about transmission loss.
" edison ac wiki "

TyPR124 said:
This is probably a dumb question, but I only need to know for a program I would like to write.

Basically, on average (I realize there are a lot of factors involved, but a rough estimate is all I need), how much energy dissipates over a specific length of a conductor (power lines, whatever they are made of)? (I don't know what an appropriate length would be, as I have no idea at all how far AC can travel. I have a vague idea of DC, but that is only because I am into networking.)

Also, since W=V*I, and I'm assuming that I shouldn't decrease, then V is what decreases?

Thank you.

The voltage drop in a cable can be found (approximately) with this equation:

[tex]V = IRcos\phi + IXsin\phi [/tex]

where,

V is the voltage drop in the circuit (line to neutral)
I is the current flowing in the conductor
R is the line resistance for one conductor, in ohms
X is the line reactance for one conductor, in ohms
[itex]\phi [/itex] is the angle whose cosine is the load power factor

This is the generally accepted approximate voltage drop formula from IEEE. There is an exact one but it's not usually necessary.

Note that the formula gives line to neutral voltage drop. Hence, if you have a single phase system you'll multiply by 2 for the total voltage drop; if it is a three phase system you multiply by 1.73.

CS

1. What is the purpose of calculating energy loss in conductors?

The purpose of calculating energy loss in conductors is to accurately determine the amount of energy that is lost as heat when electricity flows through a conductor. This information is important in designing and maintaining efficient electrical systems.

2. How is energy loss calculated in conductors?

Energy loss in conductors is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that the amount of current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor. By using this equation (V=IR), the amount of energy loss can be determined by multiplying the current squared by the resistance of the conductor.

3. What factors affect energy loss in conductors?

The main factors that affect energy loss in conductors are the current flowing through the conductor, the resistance of the conductor, and the length of the conductor. Additionally, the type of material used for the conductor and the temperature can also have an impact on energy loss.

4. Why is it important to minimize energy loss in conductors?

Minimizing energy loss in conductors is important for several reasons. First, energy loss results in wasted energy, which can lead to higher electricity bills and a less efficient electrical system. Additionally, excess heat generated from energy loss can damage the conductor and surrounding components. By minimizing energy loss, we can improve the overall efficiency and safety of our electrical systems.

5. Are there any tools or resources available to help with calculating energy loss in conductors?

Yes, there are several tools and resources available to help with calculating energy loss in conductors. These include online calculators, software programs, and reference tables that provide the necessary formulas and values for different types of conductors. It is also helpful to consult with an experienced electrical engineer for more complex calculations and design considerations.