Pressure/Surface Area. Need to Find SA and Calc. Pressure.

In summary, pressure is the amount of force applied to a given area and is typically measured in Pascals or pounds per square inch. The larger the surface area, the lower the pressure exerted. The surface area of an object can be calculated by finding the sum of the areas of all its individual surfaces. To calculate force, use the equation F = P x A, where F is force, P is pressure, and A is surface area. Understanding pressure and surface area can be applied in various real life situations, such as designing structures, lifting heavy objects, and estimating force on the body during activities like diving.
jefgreen
... Answer Found

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump. The reason I have no attempt at the solution is because my instructor never covered anything regarding surface area...

Bump. Help please.

1. What is pressure and how is it measured?

Pressure is the amount of force applied to a given area. It is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi). This can be calculated by dividing the force by the surface area.

2. How does surface area affect pressure?

The larger the surface area, the lower the pressure exerted. This is because the force is spread out over a larger area, resulting in less pressure per unit area.

3. How do I calculate the surface area of an object?

The surface area of an object can be calculated by finding the sum of the areas of all its individual surfaces. For example, the surface area of a cube can be found by multiplying the length, width, and height of one of its sides.

4. How do I use pressure and surface area to calculate force?

To calculate force, you can use the equation F = P x A, where F is force, P is pressure, and A is surface area. This means that the force applied is equal to the pressure multiplied by the surface area over which it is exerted.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of pressure and surface area in real life situations?

Understanding pressure and surface area can be useful in various situations, such as designing structures that can withstand high pressures, calculating the force needed to lift heavy objects, and estimating the amount of force exerted on a person's body when diving deep into water.