Hydrostatic force acting on beam

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a water tank and specifically the column that supports the weight of the water. The column is made up of two unequal angle steel sections bolted together with M10 bolts. The individual is trying to determine if the bolts are strong enough and asks for confirmation and input on their thought process. It is mentioned that the bolts do not experience significant load from the water and that the maximum shear and bending stress can be found at the fixed end.
Whatamiat
Attached is the problem i am trying to get to grips with along with my current line of understanding,

The column seen is a side section slice from the design of a water tank.

The column is designed to take the load of the water.

The column is designed with 2 unequal angle 75x50x6 steel sections.

These sections are bolted together using m10 bolts at the distances shown in the attachment.

I am trying to find the forces acting on the bolts in order to confirm a m10 bolt is stong enough.

Is my line of thought right here?
Or am I missing something alltogether?

Attachments

• uea example.JPG
    uea example.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 551
Engineering news on Phys.org
The water doesn't impose any significant load on the bolts. Both angles want to move together the same amount and the bolts don't do anything to prevent that movement.

Depends on what your bolts are bolted up to.

The other thing you can do is look at the stresses in the beam. Find your maximum shear and bending stress, which is at the fixed end.

What is hydrostatic force?

Hydrostatic force is the force exerted by a fluid on an object due to the pressure of the fluid. It is perpendicular to the surface of the object and is dependent on the density and depth of the fluid.

How does hydrostatic force affect a beam?

Hydrostatic force can cause a beam to bend or deflect, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force. It is important to consider when designing structures that will be in contact with fluids, such as dams or bridges over bodies of water.

What factors affect the hydrostatic force acting on a beam?

The hydrostatic force on a beam is affected by the density of the fluid, the depth of the fluid, and the shape and orientation of the beam. It is also affected by the weight and buoyancy of the beam itself.

How is the hydrostatic force calculated on a beam?

The hydrostatic force acting on a beam can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the acceleration due to gravity, the depth of the fluid, and the area of the beam that is in contact with the fluid. This calculation can be further refined by taking into account the shape and orientation of the beam.

What are some real-world applications of understanding hydrostatic force on beams?

Understanding hydrostatic force on beams is crucial in the design and construction of structures that will be in contact with fluids. This includes dams, bridges, ships, and offshore oil rigs. It is also important in the study of fluid mechanics and the behavior of fluids in various environments.