Hydrostatic pressure -tank

In summary, the conversation is discussing the pressure at the bottom of an open tank filled with water. It is noted that the hydrostatic pressure at the bottom of a 2m tall tank is 0.2 bar, which is less than atmospheric pressure. There is a question about whether atmospheric pressure should be included in stress calculations, and it is clarified that the pressure cannot be less than atmosphere. Further discussion includes the need to consider both atmospheric and hydrostatic pressure for stress calculations, and the recommendation for using a cylinder or sphere design for tanks. Materials for designing a rectangular tank are also requested.
parch
Dear guys,

I got a common doubt regarding the pressure at the bottom of a open tank filled with water.

1) Assume a tank of 2m height, filled with water. So the hydrostatic pressure at the bottom of the tank will be 0.2 bar(rho*g*h). Wondering! it is less then atmospheric pressure(1 bar).

2) So do i need to include the atmospheric pressure for my stress calculation, which is 4 times greater than the hydrostatic pressure.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The pressure cannot be less than atmosphere, because this physically does not make sense. There is pressure due to atmosphere above the tank, and there is pressure due to the water in the tank. The only result is more pressure than atmosphere alone.

Hi Cyrus,

Thanks for the reply.

1) So you mean that the 0.2 bar is wrong answer??

2) then we need to take atmospheric + hydrostatic pressure for stress calculations.

Consider the case where the tank is empty. The load for stress calculations is the self weight of the tank bottom... plus atmospheric pressure ONLY IF the tank rests on an evacuated space. An empty tank which experiences atmospheric pressure on both the upper and lower surfaces of its bottom sees no net load from atmospheric pressure.

Hi Tyroman,

Thanks for the reply.

1 )I am planned to place my tank on a flat surface where the atmosphere pressure won't comes into play on the bottom plate. So i need apply the atm pressure+hydrostatic pressure inside the tank for the stress calculations.

2) And please let me know where I can get materials for the rectangular tank design.

Thanks in advance.

parch said:
Hi Tyroman,

Thanks for the reply.

1 )I am planned to place my tank on a flat surface where the atmosphere pressure won't comes into play on the bottom plate. So i need apply the atm pressure+hydrostatic pressure inside the tank for the stress calculations.

2) And please let me know where I can get materials for the rectangular tank design.

Thanks in advance.

For Q1.
It's easy.
A. pressure from the water due to gravity = maximum 0.2bar.
B. pressure of atmosphere at the tank out side. = 1 bar (anywhere of the tank surface; simplified as 1 bar as 1 ATM = 1.01XXX and varies with temp + altitude).

Thinking a vacuum hot bottle, using vacuum to insulate the heat transfer. It is exactly the stuff you are talking about.

Thus the maximum pressure suffered by the tanks is the so called wetted bottom plate of the tank. 0.2+1=1.2bar

For Q2.
For Tank design, a cylinder/ sphere is better, the book "Fundamental of Hydraulics System engineering" will help you a bit. It involve stress distribution on plate and depends on your tank support.

Please put some more materials for standard rectangular tank design ,,

Thanks in advance.

1. What is hydrostatic pressure in a tank?

Hydrostatic pressure in a tank refers to the pressure exerted by a liquid that is in a state of equilibrium due to the force of gravity acting on it. This pressure increases with depth and is equal in all directions.

2. How is hydrostatic pressure calculated in a tank?

Hydrostatic pressure in a tank is calculated by multiplying the density of the liquid by the acceleration due to gravity and the depth at which the pressure is being measured. This can be represented by the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth.

3. What factors can affect hydrostatic pressure in a tank?

The two main factors that can affect hydrostatic pressure in a tank are the density of the liquid and the depth at which the pressure is being measured. Other factors that can have an impact include the temperature of the liquid, the shape and size of the tank, and the atmospheric pressure.

4. How does hydrostatic pressure impact the structural integrity of a tank?

Hydrostatic pressure can have a significant impact on the structural integrity of a tank. If the pressure inside the tank exceeds the design limits, it can cause the tank to burst or collapse. Therefore, it is important to consider hydrostatic pressure when designing and constructing a tank to ensure its structural integrity.

5. How can hydrostatic pressure be controlled in a tank?

Hydrostatic pressure in a tank can be controlled by adjusting the level of liquid in the tank, using pressure relief valves to release excess pressure, or using reinforcement techniques to strengthen the tank walls. It is also important to regularly monitor and maintain the tank to prevent any potential issues with hydrostatic pressure.