Friends & I saw a zig-zagging star

In summary: I've never heard of a meteor taking several minutes to cross the sky. Could have been high altitude and grazing our atmosphere, or it could have been large and slow moving (hence the tumbling).Also, our friend here seems to be in the wrong location to have seen the meteor reported last night.He could have seen the original meteor prior to the fireball it created.
It could also have been a radio-controlled aircraft. If it was electric you probably wouldn't hear it. They can ping around the sky in pretty much any way. And from a distance it would be impossible to tell what it was.

With the right lighting scheeme it could resemble your UFO.

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/135/82889414.jpg [Broken]

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/6039/65631939.jpg [Broken]

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/5258/3457825150d7b98593f6.jpg [Broken]

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/4678/3312028634feaced6d99o.jpg [Broken]

Here's a video of rc heli night flying (not a very good one sorry) At a large enough distance though it would just be a blob of light zig-zagging through the sky. They can get really high too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
khz said:
3.5-4 years ago, Sydney, Australia. I cannot specify a date: even so, it's unlikely to be corroborated from other sources, this sighting required you to be actually staring at the night sky, it was very covert, but at the same time it wasn't hallucinatory as those who I was with saw it as well.

I'm from Minnesota and on July 4, 2006 around 11:00 pm to 12:00 am I saw the exact same thing the poster described. My father and I were star gazing after returning home from watching fireworks (it was a very clear night and we live out in the country so there were no other distractions). We saw what appeared to be just another star or satellite; however this one was moving in a continuous zig-zag pattern across the sky. It struck me as odd because I had never seen anything like it before and tried to brush it off. I suppose it could have been an out of control meteor but for some reason I highly doubt that.

Do meteors ever spin rapidly when moving through the sky?

I also saw (looked like) a point (with) lights high up making what looked like a type of zig-zag path. Some of the path was more box type pattern, then zig-zag and took off in straight line further than it had been going on an irregular.
Date,7-10-10, time, aprox. 9pm midtown manhattan, clear night with city haze. One planet visible, large, some smaller pol. Could see birds flying through light given off by tall buildings. This was viewed from top a 14 fl building.

I was not intoxicated however I think what ever was flying that point of light may have been or it could have been a hijack with a struggle at the controls and then off into deep space for a joy ride.

I have no idea what it was. But I see this post and thought I would add that I saw this. I think.

I hope you don't mind if I try to gather all of the details in one location:

1. Relative apparent magnitude matching that of a star
  2. Appearing directly overhead (or close to)
  3. Crossing the sky in a "few" minutes
  4. Appeared to follow a non-linear path with erratic movements

Given the "zig-zag" maneuver, we could probably eliminate a " spacecraft " of terrestrial or extraterrestrial origin. This would be the least fuel efficient way in which to traverse a high-altitude path. If it were so high as to be out of the atmosphere, then control surfaces wouldn't be helpful, and all "zigs" and "zags" would be accomplished through the expenditure of fuel.

It's difficult to take someone's personal judgement of the passage of time. Humans often express important events as happening in "slow-motion." This is a common experience and the reserves is true, also: when engrossed in repetitive work, we see that time "flies."

The contents of a time period influence duration estimates; a time period is judged longer if it is intense, complex, and segmented. Some evidence suggests that a filled time period is perceived as longer than an empty time period...
(http://www.skidmore.edu/~hfoley/Time.htm)

Lastly, the ideomotor effect has been the bane of many observers, often ruining experiments, or invalidating observations. While, it is impossible to say that it was actually you that was moving, it does cast some degree of doubt (even if it is a small degree).

My guess? A bird illuminated from the ground (i.e. bright white belly reflecting more than dark wings) or possibly a satellite.

Fine, let me think about this. I have to go somewhere and will answer when I get back. Thanks.

Sounds to me as if you were observing a satellite but were also experiencing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsaccade" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe a satellite trying to achieve a higher orbit, hitting the propulsion away from earth, then falling back to earth, and so on, until they got it right?

jreelawg said:
Maybe a satellite trying to achieve a higher orbit, hitting the propulsion away from earth, then falling back to earth, and so on, until they got it right?

Well if that is how satellites are designed to operate than perhaps that is what I had the opportunity to watch, because when I first noticed it my thought was, neat a satellite! That is until it began to shoot about.
My dear father was an aerospace engineer and he taught us at an early age how to spot a satellite.

jreelawg said:

Orbit degradation happens much slower if it's not catastrophic. That is to say: if it's an orbit decaying so fast as to require repeated thruster fire, then it's likely that it would've resulted in a destroyed satellite. The amount of an adjustment that would be visible from Earth would have to be tremendous. Think ray length, delta theta, and arc length.

jreelawg said:

I don't think so.

First, at 400,000 ft, orbital velocity is 17,500 mph (28,200 km/hr), yet to the naked eye satellites crawl across the sky. Second, any appreciable jerking around would involve delta-V of at least 10,000 km/hr, and satellites simply don't have anywhere near that capability. Third, even if they did, it would involve something as large as a third stage. Fourth, even if they did, it would take a a good amount of time, say an eighth of an orbit and twelve minutes to effect the kind of delta-V you believe you saw occur in a few seconds.

So, I don't think so.

Last edited:
OMG i just saw a fast moving blinking star around 1:00AM in the morning GMT+ 8:00 JUST NOW! here in the Philippines moving from North West to the South East from the top of our building, just right after i have finished watching 2012 movie on HBO.. i was just about to go to sleep and i looked outside the windows looking to the west, i was looknig at the moon with the clouds and all, and saw a Still star blinking steadily with kinda redish and blue color, and then ANOTHER one just comes by from north west to south east "FAST" with a slight Zig-Zag movement also colored redish blue and everytime it moves it blinks with slighly zig-zag moves.. and the problem is I am the only one that saw it because my mom, dad and my brother was already sleeping... and I am totally sure its not a plane, it passed by just took 2 mins and it was already over the other side of south east, and i have saw Planes and Jet Planes that cross from north west side to south east side at about 10 mins, but this Blinking "STAR" move from North West to South East Side in just about 2 minutes! it passed over the clouds and it was gone.. on the East Side already... I've never seen a plane that crossed the sky that FAST! After i saw it i just typed "just saw a Star moving fast in a zigzag pattern" on google, and got to this forum, and i registered just for the sake of reporting this! I SWEAR TO GOD this aint nothing like a plane! and I am 24 Yrs old , i never actually believed in UFO's until i saw it with my own EYES! could anyone from the US identify this Unidentified Flying Object? This was my first time to actually Encounter and saw it! bcoz most of the times i look at the sky its cloudy, or even not noticing it because I am doing a lot of things, but this time... it was really weird to see such thing! (and no, i am not on any drugs, i don't drink, and hell i don't even smoke)

Last edited:
I too have seen the stars zig zag. Multiple instances. Usually the star appears for about a minute in its trajectory across the sky. It always occurs from my observances, in the direction straight up from the ground. I have seen variant speed, and many instant directional changes. I have seen the star like object also change brightness. Lastly I have also seen 3 stars form a triangular pattern without first having been in one.

Dickies said:
OMG i just saw a fast moving blinking star around 1:00AM in the morning GMT+ 8:00 JUST NOW! here in the Philippines moving from North West to the South East from the top of our building, just right after i have finished watching 2012 movie on HBO.. i was just about to go to sleep and i looked outside the windows looking to the west, i was looknig at the moon with the clouds and all, and saw a Still star blinking steadily with kinda redish and blue color, and then ANOTHER one just comes by from north west to south east "FAST" with a slight Zig-Zag movement also colored redish blue and everytime it moves it blinks with slighly zig-zag moves.. and the problem is I am the only one that saw it because my mom, dad and my brother was already sleeping... and I am totally sure its not a plane, it passed by just took 2 mins and it was already over the other side of south east, and i have saw Planes and Jet Planes that cross from north west side to south east side at about 10 mins, but this Blinking "STAR" move from North West to South East Side in just about 2 minutes! it passed over the clouds and it was gone.. on the East Side already... I've never seen a plane that crossed the sky that FAST! After i saw it i just typed "just saw a Star moving fast in a zigzag pattern" on google, and got to this forum, and i registered just for the sake of reporting this! I SWEAR TO GOD this aint nothing like a plane! and I am 24 Yrs old , i never actually believed in UFO's until i saw it with my own EYES! could anyone from the US identify this Unidentified Flying Object? This was my first time to actually Encounter and saw it! bcoz most of the times i look at the sky its cloudy, or even not noticing it because I am doing a lot of things, but this time... it was really weird to see such thing! (and no, i am not on any drugs, i don't drink, and hell i don't even smoke)

Maybe it was a bird reflecting lights of various sources from the ground. the relatively low altitude would allow it to have the appearance of moving quickly across the sky And, as we all know, birds can never seem to decide in what direction to fly.

ziggy star said:
I too have seen the stars zig zag. Multiple instances. Usually the star appears for about a minute in its trajectory across the sky. It always occurs from my observances, in the direction straight up from the ground. I have seen variant speed, and many instant directional changes. I have seen the star like object also change brightness. Lastly I have also seen 3 stars form a triangular pattern without first having been in one.

Microsaccadic eye movements would be best to explain your observation. As far as there starts forming a triangular pattern; well, obviously they were stars. Could be planes. I'm not far from Pease International Trade Port (which used to be an Air Force base) and they still fly fighters and refueling planes out of there for Trans-Atlantic operations. Planes routinely launch separately and then gather in formation.

I saw this back when I was a teen around 1967 in summer in L.A., I was in the backyard of a friend's home along with about 10 other people at night. A formation of what at first appeared to be 5 or 6 stars were moving fast and low along the northern horizon when the 'stars' suddenly stopped and changed direction and zig-zagged once and zoomed off into the opposite direction they had been traveling. No one said a word for a few minutes and then we tried to nervously laugh it off but the rest of the evening there was a tenseness in the air. I never forgot it and never could figure out what we saw that summer night all these years ago. we never saw it again but every once in a while one of my buddies will bring it up and laugh about it.

I saw a meteorite once that did an L shape. The only explanation I can think of is it breaking up. The two legs of the L weren't exactly straight but zigged a bit like lightning too.

I can guarantee you my eyes were not playing tricks on me. That would mean that 2 different people's eyes were playing the same tricks! Not the case. Also, us fighter jets do not fly 1 plane in front, 2 planes in back, to form a triangle.

I saw a star like object zig zaging across the sky. It took seconds for it to move from one side of the sky to the other. Best I can describe it, Bouncing around. The angles were sharp. I remember it clearly because it was after my hs graduation. We were outside at my grama's and enjoying the night before I left for sober grad. It looked no bigger than a small star.

one night about 10 years or so ago i was out with mates and seen what looked like a star kind of zig zagging in the sky. thought nothing of it until about 5 years ago when i seen the same thing but this time i was with about 10 mates and they all seen it. it was fire works night in edinburgh scotland. (the end of the edinburgh festival) hunders of ppl was watching the fire works and 10 of was standing in the park looking up saying what the hell is that. it was the same thing as b4 a star like object zig zaging between the stars. use real non moving stars as points of refrenc it did not move from one side of the sky to the othere but from where i was it looked like it was moving a fu inch if it was a star tho it would be moving a fu light years. we watched it for about 20 min then we left the park. that's 2 times me and my mates have seen the same thing. answers would help a lot cheers

steve1314 said:
answers would help a lot cheers

Not to be disrespectful, but the traditionally preferred explanation from USAF Blue Book astronomer J Allen Hynek on down is that you and the others were watching reflections off a duck's butt.

What you were doing - looking up into the night sky - is the easiest and most reliable way to see a "UFO". It's helpful to be sober, select a remote location far from city lights, then spend several nights acclimatizing to cold temperatures, late hours and becoming familiar with patterns of satellites and aircraft passing above. It won't take long for you to easily recognize the anomalous lights. When/if you start getting the impression that the lights are responding to your thoughts, it's time to pack your gear, go home and find another hobby.

If you are serious about the few real answers from the few scientists and engineers who have professionally investigated UFO's fairly close up with good equipment, please see the entries on Hessdalen lights and Yakama lights in the "Electrical Eccentricities?" thread. I can also recommend the book, "Project Identification", by PhD physicist Harley Rutledge, whose team was commissioned to perform a multi-year study of anomalous lights in Missouri. Zig-zagging "stars" were among the phenomena he studied and wrote about. I bought this book for $9 on amazon.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

In 2011 (month not known) while lying outside at night in my village in Pakistan, i saw a star like object moving in a zig zag path. it was moving very fast across the sky and i observe it for about 1 minute. i also saw other satellites moving across the sky but not in a zig zag path with such a high speed. this was the first and the last time i saw a star like object moving in a zig zag path with high speed. i also saw meteoroides falling from the sky but they follow a straight path and vanishes away quickly. the only thing in my mind is UFO. becoz satellites can't achieve such a high speed while moving in a zig zag path. I am not a physicist but have knowledege about satellites and space.

<h2>1. What could cause a star to zig-zag in the sky?</h2><p>The most likely explanation for a star appearing to zig-zag in the sky is atmospheric turbulence. This can be caused by temperature differences in the air, which can cause light to bend and appear to move in a zig-zag pattern.</p><h2>2. Is it possible that the star was actually a UFO?</h2><p>While it is always possible that a sighting could be a UFO, it is highly unlikely. Most sightings of unidentified flying objects can be explained by natural or man-made phenomena, such as weather balloons or aircraft.</p><h2>3. Could it have been a shooting star?</h2><p>No, shooting stars (also known as meteors) typically appear as a quick streak of light in the sky, not a zig-zagging pattern. It is more likely that the object you saw was a star or planet that appeared to be moving due to atmospheric conditions.</p><h2>4. Is it common to see stars zig-zagging in the sky?</h2><p>No, it is not common to see stars zig-zagging in the sky. Most stars appear to be stationary due to their distance from Earth. However, atmospheric conditions and other factors can cause stars to appear to move or twinkle.</p><h2>5. Could it have been a satellite or other man-made object?</h2><p>It is possible that the object you saw was a satellite or other man-made object in orbit. However, satellites typically move in a straight line and do not zig-zag in the sky. It is more likely that the object was a star or planet that appeared to be moving due to atmospheric conditions.</p>

1. What could cause a star to zig-zag in the sky?

The most likely explanation for a star appearing to zig-zag in the sky is atmospheric turbulence. This can be caused by temperature differences in the air, which can cause light to bend and appear to move in a zig-zag pattern.

2. Is it possible that the star was actually a UFO?

While it is always possible that a sighting could be a UFO, it is highly unlikely. Most sightings of unidentified flying objects can be explained by natural or man-made phenomena, such as weather balloons or aircraft.

3. Could it have been a shooting star?

No, shooting stars (also known as meteors) typically appear as a quick streak of light in the sky, not a zig-zagging pattern. It is more likely that the object you saw was a star or planet that appeared to be moving due to atmospheric conditions.

4. Is it common to see stars zig-zagging in the sky?

No, it is not common to see stars zig-zagging in the sky. Most stars appear to be stationary due to their distance from Earth. However, atmospheric conditions and other factors can cause stars to appear to move or twinkle.

5. Could it have been a satellite or other man-made object?

It is possible that the object you saw was a satellite or other man-made object in orbit. However, satellites typically move in a straight line and do not zig-zag in the sky. It is more likely that the object was a star or planet that appeared to be moving due to atmospheric conditions.