What is the Most Embarrassing City Name?

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
In summary, there are many different embarrassing city names. Some of the cities mentioned are Cleveland, Buffalo, Intercourse, and Hell. Australian town names are the best because they are unique and have interesting stories behind them.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Having just completed another crosscountry tour (finally recovered the vehicle I had to leave behind on my last trip :frown: ), I became interested in the different city names along the way.

What do you think is the most embarrassing city name?

My nominations are:

Cleveland, Ohio (named after Moses Cleaveland) :uhh:

Buffalo, New York (Buffalo is French for 'beautiful river' !?) :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
That's an easy one: Intercourse, PA. What do I win?

Sexton City, TX.

The Bob (2004 ©)

And of course, Intercourse is just down the road from Blue Ball, PA.

- Warren

there's actually a small village in Norway called Homo.
(a common slang word for a gay man..)

Intercourse, PA and Fuc*ing, Austria would both be strong candidates.

If you include little towns, there's Stinking Creek, TN ; Suckerville, ME; Dirty Butter Creek, OK; Assawoman, VA; Shi*ten Creek, OR; Bumpass, VA; Hell, MI; Bungletown, VA; Stupid Creek, Bastard Creek & Idiot Creek, OR; Booby Island, MD; Athol, MA; Mianus, CT; Nuttsville, VA; Smallwood, NY,MD,PA,SC; Bottom, NC; Climax, GA, NC; Crotch Camp Brook, ME; Accident, Crappo & Boring, MD; ... :tongue2:

However, I think Australian town names are the BEST !

and there's Muff, Ireland :biggrin:

Going bigger : I da Ho :rofl:

Bhutan sounds a bit funny and when you think Switzerland it is Yoddling. :rofl: Joking. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

wtf

Man what the **** is wrong with the people who live in these places?! :grumpy:

Cut n' Shoot, Texas

If I remember right, Larry Bird was from French Lick, IN.

Anyone ever see that old black and white movie called "Molly Be Damned" where the whole town went around mispronouncing their city's name and living in poverty because they were all too ignorant to know what molybdenum was?

I live in a small settlement in Louisiana just outside of Indian Village, it's called Jane's Whore.

A little south west of my home in Asheboro, NC is a little town called Erect. A little past that is one called Ophir.

Dildo Run, Newfoundland

There's a place called "Condom" in France. It's a shame I didn't get a pic of the sign for it when I was there!

Last edited:
There is a place in the US called Mianus, cos the Jackass crew went there.

Two towns near Kidderminster - Lickey End
- Suckely Hills

A town near Wolverhampton - Sh*ttlehope (sh*t-all-hope lol)

Of course, there's the famous fork in the road between the nearby towns of Weed and College, unsurprisingly here in the state of California:

http://www.torontohemp.com/gallery/college.jpg

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
Words are fun

I like the little stories which can be told using the names of cities. For example;
Sallisaw Henryetta Wagoner Catoosa :wink: :biggrin:

Intercourse, PA has already been mentioned (that was the first to come to mind). There's also Hell, Michigan (I'm still wondering where the parents tell their kids they will go if they are bad...or maybe the threat is they'll stay right there in Hell...it's not much of a town, though I got lost there one night driving, which made for an amusing night of puns with my driving companion, and an eerie sense of wondering whether we were transported into a movie to be lost in Hell at night).

Are we limited to cities/towns? There's Big Bone Lick State Park in KY (Kentucky, but in this case, the two letter abbreviation for the state adds to the effect). And if that's not enough for you, the address for the park is Beaver Rd. Lest you think I'm making this up, here's a link: http://www.state.ky.us/agencies/parks/bigbone.htm

I don't think this counts for much, but I saw a Winnebago with bumper stickers advertising various tourist spots the occupants had been to. One sticker had a drawing of a cave entrance in the cleavage of a double-lobed hill, and it said WE'VE BEEN TO HOLE-IN-THE-ARSE, KY.

Moonbear said:
Intercourse, PA has already been mentioned (that was the first to come to mind). There's also Hell, Michigan (I'm still wondering where the parents tell their kids they will go if they are bad...or maybe the threat is they'll stay right there in Hell...it's not much of a town, though I got lost there one night driving, which made for an amusing night of puns with my driving companion, and an eerie sense of wondering whether we were transported into a movie to be lost in Hell at night).

That reminds me, there's also Hell's Gate in BC, Canada!

Bell End is my favourite. It's near Birmingham.

Waterlooville. Is that an embarrassing name?? Or Waterloo??

The Bob (2004 ©)

elephant butte, new mexico

chroot said:
Of course, there's the famous fork in the road between the nearby towns of Weed and College, unsurprisingly here in the state of California:

http://www.torontohemp.com/gallery/college.jpg

- Warren

Now that doesn't make sense... they should be pointing in the same direction :tongue2:

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the most embarrassing city name?

The most embarrassing city name is probably "Dildo", a small town in Newfoundland, Canada.

Why is "Dildo" considered an embarrassing city name?

"Dildo" is considered embarrassing because it is a slang term for a sex toy.

Are there any other embarrassing city names?

Yes, there are several other cities with embarrassing names, such as "Hell" in Michigan, "Intercourse" in Pennsylvania, and "Fucking" in Austria.

Why do some cities have embarrassing names?

Some cities may have embarrassing names due to historical or cultural reasons, while others may have been named as a joke or for shock value.

Has any city ever changed its name due to embarrassment?

Yes, some cities have changed their names to avoid embarrassment or negative connotations. For example, the town of "Fucking" in Austria changed its name to "Fugging" in 2020.