If deceleration is given instead of acceleration can i find the force

In summary, deceleration is the opposite direction of acceleration and can be calculated using the formula F = m * a, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the negative value of the deceleration. The unit of measurement for deceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2) and it is always negative, although the magnitude can be positive. The mass of an object affects both force and deceleration, with a direct relationship to force and an inverse relationship to deceleration.
Champdx
If deceleration is given instead of acceleration can i find the force ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Deceleration is an acceleration.

Yes
Make sure you have a coordinate system setup and label your deceleration as negative acceleration. F==m(-a). Depending on your coordinate system, initial conditions etc.. force may still come up positive but that's not the point.

1. Can I find the force if deceleration is given instead of acceleration?

Yes, you can find the force using the formula F = m * a, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the negative value of the deceleration.

2. How is deceleration related to acceleration?

Deceleration is actually a negative acceleration, meaning that it is the opposite direction of acceleration. It is used to describe the slowing down of an object's velocity.

3. What is the unit of measurement for deceleration?

The unit of measurement for deceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. Can deceleration be positive?

No, deceleration is always negative because it is the opposite direction of acceleration. However, the magnitude of deceleration can be positive.

5. How does the mass of an object affect deceleration and force?

The mass of an object is directly proportional to the force and inversely proportional to the deceleration. This means that as the mass increases, the force and deceleration also increase, and vice versa.