Science and time for spirituality

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of balancing academic studies and personal interests and how it can lead to feeling spiritually drained. The speakers suggest finding ways to better utilize time and prioritize self-care to avoid exhaustion. They also share their own strategies for managing this balance.
sari
Hello,

This isn't exactly related to the topic of this forum, but I guess I'll ask anyways:

I'm currently doing my 2nd year of a 1st degree in math\physics\CS and I don't have time for anything (I'm also a full-time mom to a 4 month old, but that's a subject for a different thread).
I enjoy the intellectual stimulation of science (when I don't feel pressured), and I think I have a pretty good potential for the kind of stuff I'm learning (although I'm having a hard time implementing it at this stage in life). The other reason I'm learning physics (and the rest) is that I hope to make some sort of contribution to the world (hopefully in climate physics or some sort of cleantech).
However, I feel that because my head is so full of equations and deadlines all the time, I don't have time to pause and develop the more spiritual sides of my life. I barely have time to read books that you don't need a pencil and paper and table to get through. (Right now I'm reading Prigogine's "Order Out of Chaos" at nursing breaks and the universe will probably collapse into a wormhole before I finish it). I'm interested in a lot of other subjects in the humanities and social sciences, and like writing, music and yoga, but can't find time for those hobbies.

So I was wondering:

A) Is there a point in life (after finishing a Bsc\Masters\Phd\after coming home from work) when there's actually time for more than just physics and family?
B) Has anyone else felt spiritually "parched" while studying physics or working in the field, and how have you solved it?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, sari, welcome to the forum!

Sure, after you're done with school you'll have time for hobbies and pastimes again. But you're doing two very intensive things at the same time now - school and mommy-ing. It's going to be a while until you have much spare time, I think.

Your second question - well I dealt with it by shutting everything else out of my life. I put on blinders, focussed only on school. No hobbies, no dating, no reading other books, minimal time with friends or family. Somehow, when you're wanting something but you can't have enough of it to satiate yourself, it's better to have none at all. For me, at least.

You need little bit time for yourself. If you keep on working you will be exhausted in less than a week. I would suggest finding if you are spending too much time say on commuting, watching TV, internet etc.. You can better utilize that time. It is not possible to commit 20 hours/week to constructive hobbies but at least 5 hours is possible. I discovered that it requires high self discipline and lots of strength to utilize most of your time. Last term, I dedicated 6 hours/week to hobbies and I was more energetic and had to spend less time to learn things. Also, focus on how you are learning. Sometimes, working with a group shortens the amount of time you need to understand concepts (I spend about quarter of my studying time with group and rest self). I feel more energetic when I work with a group.

Last edited:

What is the relationship between science and spirituality?

The relationship between science and spirituality is a complex and ongoing debate. Some believe that science and spirituality are two separate and unrelated domains, while others argue that they are interconnected and can complement each other. Ultimately, the answer may vary depending on one's personal beliefs and perspectives.

Can science and spirituality coexist?

Yes, science and spirituality can coexist. While science relies on empirical evidence and the scientific method to understand the physical world, spirituality often focuses on the non-physical aspects of life, such as consciousness and morality. Both approaches can provide valuable insights and complement each other in our understanding of the world.

How does science view the concept of time in relation to spirituality?

Science views time as a linear and measurable quantity that progresses in a forward direction. On the other hand, spirituality often sees time as a non-linear concept, with a deeper meaning and purpose beyond our physical existence. While science and spirituality may have different perspectives on time, they both acknowledge its significance in our lives.

Do scientific advancements impact spirituality?

Scientific advancements can have an impact on spirituality in several ways. For some, new scientific discoveries can challenge traditional spiritual beliefs and lead to a re-examination of their faith. However, for others, scientific advancements can deepen their understanding and connection to their spiritual beliefs. Ultimately, the impact of science on spirituality may vary for each individual.

Is there a conflict between science and spirituality?

There is no inherent conflict between science and spirituality. While there may be disagreements and debates between the two, they ultimately share a common goal of understanding the world and our place in it. It is possible to embrace both science and spirituality and find harmony between the two in our lives.