Definition of a continuous function

In summary, Schutz's definition of continuity at a point states that a map f:M->N is continuous at x if any open set of N containing f(x) contains the image of an open set of M. However, there may be a more appropriate definition, such as "... contains the image of a neighbourhood of x". There are also counterexamples that seem to contradict Schutz's definition, but it is clarified on the following page that the definition actually contains the elementary-calculus definition as a special case.
nicksauce
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I am reading Schutz's "Geometrical methods of mathematical physics". He writes: "A map f:M->N is continuous at x in M if any open set of N containing f(x) contains the image of an open set of M." However, it seems to me that a more appropriate definition would be "... contains the image of a neighbourhood of x". Am I right, or am I missing something obvious?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think that with Schutz's definition, you'll be able to PROVE that neighbourhoods around "x" must be included in those "open sets of M".

Note, for example, that a discontinuity of value at f(x) will prevent the existence of there being any open set of N about it. I think..

Well the counter-example of the Schutz definition I'm thinking of would look something like this: http://imgur.com/ppE5t

But maybe I need to think about it some more...

Last edited by a moderator:
Counterexample perhaps from R to R:
[tex]
f(x) = \begin{cases}
1 & \text{if }x \in \mathbb{Q}\text{ and }x \geq 0, \\
0 & \text{if }x \notin \mathbb{Q}\text{ and }x \geq 0, \\
1 & \text{if }-1 < x < 0, \\
0 & \text{if }x \leq -1.
\end{cases}
[/tex]​
According to the given definition, f(x) is continuous everywhere.

What if x is an isolated point of M?

Was the definition not so written to cater for this eventuality?

No, that's not the issue. Clearly if you consider continuity at x and then forget to require an open set about x to be contained in an arbitrarily small open set about f(x), you have a worthless definition. I'm pretty sure the author meant to say "A map f:M->N is continuous at x in M if any open set of N containing f(x) contains the image of an open set of x in M."

I'm pretty sure the author meant to say "A map f:M->N is continuous at x in M if any open set of N containing f(x) contains the image of an open set of x in M."

That would satisfy nicksauce' qualms, without introducing a neighbourhood.

However the original question was should a neighbourhood be introduced and I think I answered that point since I don't think an isolated point has a neighbourhood, although it is defined to be an open set, thereby satisfying your form of words.

I found, like others, it quite hard to get my head round this particular statement of continuity, which differs subtly from the topological one I am more used to.

So I think you may have cracked it.

This is a simple counter example.

[tex]
f:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}
[/tex]

[tex]
f(x) = x,\quad\quad x\neq 0
[/tex]

[tex]
f(0) = 1
[/tex]

With Euclidian topology, [itex]f[/itex] is not continuous at [itex]x=0[/itex]. Now choose an arbitrary open set [itex]V\subset\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]1\in V[/itex] (that means [itex] f(0)\in V[/itex]). You can find an open set [itex]]1-\epsilon,1+\epsilon[[/itex], such that [itex]f(]1-\epsilon,1+\epsilon[)\subset V[/itex], so [itex]f[/itex] should be continuous at [itex]x=0[/itex] according to the strange definition now.

It is a mistake. But Schutz says it right at the following page (8):

Therefore this definition says that f is continuous at x0 if every d'''-nhbd of f(x0) contains the image of a d'''-nhbd of x0. Since these nhbd's are open sets, the new definition given in the previous paragraph contains the elementary-calculus definition as a special case.

What is the definition of a continuous function?

A continuous function is a type of mathematical function that has a smooth and unbroken graph, meaning there are no gaps or breaks in the graph. This means that the function can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

How do you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is considered continuous if its graph is a single unbroken curve with no gaps or jumps. This can also be determined by evaluating the limit of the function at a given point. If the limit exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point, then the function is continuous.

What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity refers to the smoothness and unbrokenness of a function's graph, while differentiability refers to the existence of a derivative at a given point. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, meaning it has a smooth graph but does not have a defined slope at all points.

Can a function be continuous but not differentiable?

Yes, a function can be continuous but not differentiable. A common example is the absolute value function, which has a smooth graph but does not have a defined slope at the point where the graph changes direction.

Why is continuity important in mathematics?

Continuity is important in mathematics because it allows us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of functions. It also helps us to understand the connections between different types of functions and how they relate to each other.