Understand Bolzano's Theorem: Explanation & Examples

• Thread starter hasan_researc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, Bolzano's theorem states that if you have a continuous function on an interval [a,b], such that f(a) is positive and f(b) is negative, then there must exist a point "c" belonging to the interval (a,b) where f(c)=0. The proof relies on this much deeper theorem: a continuous function maps a connected set into a connected set.
hasan_researc
Hi,

I actually have trouble understanding Bolzano's Theorem. Could someone please explain it to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Bolzano Weierstrass Theorem?

In short, its basically an extension of a simpler fact. We know that if we have a bounded sequence of real numbers ( a sequence is bounded if there exists a real number M that is larger in magnitude than all the sequence terms), then that sequence has a convergent subsequence. A proof of this should be in your textbook, the general idea is to show that limsup a_n or liminf a_n exist (because a_n is bounded), and then to find a sequence that at each step gets closer and closer to one of those values.

Bolzano Weierstass basically says that if you have a bounded sequence in [tex]R^n[/tex] or [tex]C^n[/tex], not just in R, then the same result applies - bounded sequences of elements from those sets have a convergent subsequence.

Yes, I am talking abt the special case of the Intermediate Value Theorem when f(intermediate value) is zero.

Sorry, I never knew that special case had it's own name. Anyway, could you elaborate what about the theorem you don't understand? What it states, its proof, or something else?

The Bolzano theorem, which is a special case of intermediate value theorem, states that if you have a continuous function on an interval [a,b], such that f(a) is positive and f(b) is negative, then there must exist a point "c" belonging to the interval (a,b) where f(c)=0.

Continuity is essential.

I understand the theorem statement, but I don't get the last part of the proof. I understand that the proof ends if the function value at the mean of any interval is zero. But if the function value at the mean of any interval is not zero for any size of the interval, then we have to consider the bounded sequence of end-points values at both sides of the curve. I don't understand how that consideration leads to the completeion of the proof.

The proof relies on this much deeper theorem: a continuous function maps a connected set into a connected set. The only connected sets in the real numbers are the intervals.

I'd be grateful to you if you could explain that theorem in more detail or point to a good source which expalins it.

So the proof involves bisection of the intervals. We start with interval [a,b], where f(a)>0 and f(b)<0. Now we bisect the inteval and consider f((a+b)/2). If the function value at the midpoint is +ve then we select the interval [(a+b/2),b], else the interval [a,(a+b)/2]. So in this way we get a subinterval of [a,b], and the length is half of the previous one. Call this new subinterval [tex][a_{1},b_{1}][/tex]We continue the bisection on the interval in the above manner. So we get a sequence of nested subintervals.

[tex][a,b]\supset[a_{1},b_{1}]\supset[a_{2},b_{2}]...[/tex].

We get two sequences [tex]a_{n}[/tex] and [tex]b_{n}[/tex]. Now both sequence converge to the same point say "x". Then we assert that f(x)=0. If not zero, then there exist a neighborhood of x, where it is not zero, say [tex](x-\epsilon, x+\epsilon)[/tex] and function values are entirely +ve or -ve in the interval. But given this epslion i can choose a interval from the sequence of intervals which lies completely in [tex](x-\epsilon, x+\epsilon)[/tex]. But then the endpoints have +ve and -ve value, which is a contradiction.

Hence f(x)=0. Proved.

Thanks! Actually, the last three lines of the 2nd paragraph were the lines I could not understand before! Thank you so much! This has really helped.

1. What is Bolzano's Theorem?

Bolzano's Theorem, also known as the Intermediate Value Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that states that if a continuous function takes on different values at two points in an interval, then it must also take on every value between those two points.

2. Why is Bolzano's Theorem important?

Bolzano's Theorem is important because it provides a way to prove the existence of roots or solutions to equations that cannot be solved algebraically. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and analysis, and is used to prove other important theorems.

3. Can you give an example of Bolzano's Theorem in action?

One example of Bolzano's Theorem is in finding the solution to the equation x3 - 2x - 1 = 0 on the interval [0,2]. By evaluating the function at the endpoints, we can see that f(0) = -1 and f(2) = 3. Since the function is continuous on the interval and takes on values on opposite sides of the x-axis, Bolzano's Theorem tells us that there must be a root between 0 and 2, which can be approximated using numerical methods.

4. Are there any limitations to Bolzano's Theorem?

One limitation of Bolzano's Theorem is that it only applies to continuous functions. If a function is not continuous, then the intermediate value property may not hold and the theorem cannot be applied. Additionally, the theorem does not tell us the exact location of the root, only that it exists somewhere between the two points.

5. How is Bolzano's Theorem related to the Mean Value Theorem?

Bolzano's Theorem is a special case of the Mean Value Theorem, which states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point in the open interval where the derivative of the function is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints. Bolzano's Theorem can be thought of as a weaker version of the Mean Value Theorem, as it only requires continuity and not differentiability.