Rusting of Magnesium: Equation & Experiment

In summary, the equation for the rusting of magnesium involves a redox chemistry where magnesium undergoes oxidation and releases electrons while hypochlorite is reduced. The final products include magnesium hydroxide and sodium chloride, with the possibility of other byproducts such as magnesium oxide and sodium hydroxide.
tanya234
Hi I was wondering what would be the equation for the rusting of magnesium?

I did an experiment where an iron nail was covered by a strip of magnesium and was put into diluted NaOCl (diluted sodium hypochlorite solution). Apparently the magnesium protects the iron from rusting and hence rusts instead.

Thanks,

Tanya

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
reply from HONG KONG CHEM LOVER

Hi I was wondering what would be the equation for the rusting of magnesium?

I did an experiment where an iron nail was covered by a strip of magnesium and was put into diluted NaOCl (diluted sodium hypochlorite solution). Apparently the magnesium protects the iron from rusting and hence rusts instead.

1st: NaOCl+ H2O <>(reversible) NaCl + 2OH-
2nd: Mg + 2OH->MgO (rust) +H2O
is it right, i am not sure

Hello

I am not sure the equations in the first reply is totally correct, the products are okay though; hypochlorite has 1+ valence on chlorine, but chloride consists 1- valence. So there has to be a redox chemistry, and therefore, a reduction step. The electrons must have released from magnesium atom, so magnesium atom must undergo an oxidation step. Let me summarize these below:

Mg ---> Mg2+ + 2e-
NaClO + 2e- + H2O ---> NaCl + 2OH-

Mg + NaClO + H2O---> Mg(OH)2 + NaCl

But magnesium oxide may also be produced if the temperature of the medium is sufficiently high to cause dehydratation (water removal):

Mg(OH)2 ---> MgO + H2O

PS: Please note that this approach is the ideal one; you may also predict that mixed products like Mg(OH)Cl and MgCl2 are likely to occur, but with a limited probablity. Therefore, sodium hydroxide is another possible side product.

Regards
chem_tr

Last edited:
YES~ mine one is incorrect..

sorry, i hve overlooked the Cl in OCl is +1

1. What is the chemical equation for rusting of magnesium?

The chemical equation for rusting of magnesium is Mg + O2 + H2O → Mg(OH)2. This reaction occurs when magnesium reacts with oxygen and water in the air, forming magnesium hydroxide.

2. What factors affect the rate of rusting in magnesium?

The rate of rusting in magnesium can be affected by several factors, including the presence of moisture, the amount of oxygen in the air, the temperature, and the surface area of the magnesium. Higher levels of moisture and oxygen, as well as higher temperatures, can speed up the rusting process. A larger surface area of magnesium exposed to these conditions can also lead to faster rusting.

3. How can rusting of magnesium be prevented?

Rusting of magnesium can be prevented by keeping it away from moisture and oxygen. This can be achieved by storing it in a dry and airtight container. Applying a protective coating, such as paint or oil, can also prevent contact with moisture and oxygen. Additionally, using alloys that are less prone to rusting, such as aluminum or stainless steel, can also prevent rusting.

4. What is the purpose of conducting an experiment on rusting of magnesium?

The purpose of conducting an experiment on rusting of magnesium is to understand the chemical reactions and factors involved in the process. It also allows for the observation and measurement of the rate of rusting under different conditions. This information can be useful in developing methods to prevent rusting and in the production of rust-resistant materials.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when conducting an experiment on rusting of magnesium?

When conducting an experiment on rusting of magnesium, it is important to handle the chemical with caution. Magnesium is highly flammable and can react violently with water. Therefore, it should be handled in a well-ventilated area and kept away from any sources of ignition. Protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, should also be worn. Proper disposal of the chemical and clean-up of the experiment area should also be done to avoid any accidents.