Question about distance using Newton's Laws of Motion

In summary: The crate does not continue to move at a constant velocity, so the net force must be zero. And since the pushing force is not included in the problem, friction must be the force that stops the crate. So friction = max. And max = m*a, so friction = m*a. And m*a * d = m * v^2. And v is the velocity the crate has at the instant the force is removed. So d = v^2/a. And since v = vi, d = vi^2/a. And a = max/m. So d = vi^2/(max/m). And max/m = a. So d = vi^2/a.
sona1177

Homework Statement

A crate pushed along the floor with velocity Vi slides a distance d after the pushing force is removed.

a)If the mass of the crate is doubled but the initial velocity is not changed, what distance does the crate slide before stopping? Explain.

b) If the initial velocity of the crate is doubled to 2vi but the mass is not changd, what distance does the crate slide before stopping? Explain.

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=max (object is moving horizontally)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Fnetx=nx + wx + tx where t stands for the pushing force, n is the normal force, and w is weight pulling down on the object.
nx=0
wx=0
Tx=max
Tx/m=ax

Kinetics Equation:
V2=Vi2 + 2a(Xf-Xi)
0=Vi2 + 2a(Xf-Xi)
-Vi2=2(Tx/m)d (where d stands for Xf- Xi)
Doing algebra: d=-mVi2/ (2*Tx) (in this equation only the Vi is squared, in the denominator, the answer is (2 times Tx). I hope that is clear.

b) -m * 2 * Vi2/2 *Tx (in this equation its 2 times the initial velocity squared divided by 2 times Tx) therefore the 2's cancel out and I get the same answer as I did for part a -m* Vi2/Tx=d

I hope this makes sense. Is my work and answer correct? I'm not sure if this was the answer the book was looking for. Thank you kindly for taking the time to help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, all the pushing force does is to give the crate an initial velocity and then it is removed. So Tx =0 and should not be a part of the subsequent motion of the object.
Secondly, you have omitted the force of kinetic friction. How does that figure into the picture?

kuruman said:
First off, all the pushing force does is to give the crate an initial velocity and then it is removed. So Tx =0 and should not be a part of the subsequent motion of the object.
Secondly, you have omitted the force of kinetic friction. How does that figure into the picture?

The crate slides a distance d only after the pushing force is removed. So doesn't the pushing factor have to be included? And my book says to ignore friction unless the problem asks to include it. This problem does not. And if I don't include the pushing force, the answer becomes 0/m=ax, meaning acceleration is zero since the normal force and weight force do not have x components. Can you please help guide me with this? Thank you kindly.

Please Help! Thank you.

kuruman is right on both counts.

You should ignore the pushing force...in a sense it's built into the initial velocity. Also, you have to assume there is some kinetic friction because parts (a) and (b) imply the object comes to a stop.

sona1177 said:
The crate slides a distance d only after the pushing force is removed. So doesn't the pushing factor have to be included?
No. Only the velocity that the crate has at the instant the force is removed needs to be included.
And my book says to ignore friction unless the problem asks to include it. This problem does not.
It does implicitly. What stops the crate if not friction?
And if I don't include the pushing force, the answer becomes 0/m=ax, meaning acceleration is zero since the normal force and weight force do not have x components. Can you please help guide me with this? Thank you kindly.
Why 0 = max? How about friction = max?

1. How does Newton's First Law of Motion relate to distance?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that an object will continue to move at a constant speed and direction, including maintaining its distance, unless a force is applied to change its motion.

2. What is the relationship between force and distance according to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied, the greater the acceleration and therefore the greater the distance traveled by the object.

3. How does Newton's Third Law of Motion affect the distance an object travels?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back. This can affect the distance an object travels as it may experience a change in direction or speed due to the reactionary force.

4. Can Newton's Laws of Motion be used to calculate distance?

Yes, Newton's Laws of Motion can be used to calculate distance by using the equations for force, mass, and acceleration. By knowing the values of these variables, the distance an object travels can be calculated using the appropriate formula.

5. How do external forces and friction affect the distance an object travels?

External forces, such as gravity or air resistance, can affect the distance an object travels by either assisting or hindering its motion. For example, gravity can pull an object down, causing it to accelerate and travel a greater distance. Friction, on the other hand, can act as a resisting force and decrease the distance an object travels by slowing it down.