Point charge in an electric field

In summary: So in summary, to find the distance the electron travels in the electric field before stopping momentarily, we can use the kinematics equation {V_f}^2 = {V_0}^2 +2a(x - x_0) with the final velocity being zero. To find the time elapsed, we can use the equation \sqrt{\dfrac{2\Delta x}{a}} = t. And to find the fraction of the electron's initial KE lost in the region with the electric field, we can use \Delta KE = \frac{1}{2}mv_{0}^2 - \frac{1}{2}mv^2.
jimithing
an electron with a speed of 5.00 x 10^8 cm/s enters an electric field of magnitude 1.00 x 10^3 N/C, traveling along field lines in the direction that retards its motion.

a) How far will the electron travel in the field before stopping momentarily
b) how much time will have elapsed
c) in the region with the E field is only 8.00 mm long, what fraction of the electron's initial KE will be lost in that region?

I really need to get jumpstarted on this problem. Newton's second law comes to mind, but without the mass of the electron its pretty useless. anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the inside cover of your textbook for the electron mass.

k this is what i have so far

[tex]\vec {F} = m \vec {a}[/tex]
[tex]q\vec {E} = m \vec {a}[/tex]

as far as [tex] \vec {a} [/tex] goes, what is a relationship I can use that includes the speed of the electron?

here can [tex] \vec {a} [/tex] be represented by [tex] \frac{v^2 - v_o^2}{2(x - x_o)} [/tex], with [tex] v [/tex] being the velocity given?

jimithing said:
k this is what i have so far

[tex]\vec {F} = m \vec {a}[/tex]
[tex]q\vec {E} = m \vec {a}[/tex]

as far as [tex] \vec {a} [/tex] goes, what is a relationship I can use that includes the speed of the electron?

I think you only need the following equations to solve it:
[tex]F=ma, v^2 = u^2 + 2as, v=u+at, F=qE, E=V/d, V=W/Q[/tex]

Ethereal said:
I think you only need the following equations to solve it:
[tex]F=ma, v^2 = u^2 + 2as, v=u+at, F=qE, E=V/d, V=W/Q[/tex]
could you define u, s, V, W, and Q

jimithing said:
could you define u, s, V, W, and Q
Oh sorry. u is the initial velocity of the electron, s is its displacement, V is the electric potential, W is the work done (more like KE lost due to the field), and Q is charge of the electron.

the thing is, is that we haven't studied potential...i was trying to work this problem using strictly kinematics...

jimithing said:
the thing is, is that we haven't studied potential...i was trying to work this problem using strictly kinematics...
In that case then for part c, calculate the final velocity v of the electron, and the loss in KE is given by [tex]1/2m(v^2-u^2)[/tex] You can determine v by using the kinematics equations given, once you know the deceleration the electron is subjected to.

Try This

I'm not sure that is the best way to solve the problem. Let's start by listing what we know:

Initial Velocity: [itex] \overrightarrow{V_0} [/itex] (remember to convert that to meters per second)

The Electric field [itex] \overrightarrow{E} [/itex]

Okay. Now let's do the problem. We know that:

[tex] F = ma [/tex]

and

[tex] F = qE [/tex].

The first part of the problem asks how far the electron will travel before momentarily coming to rest - in otherwords, how long will it take the electric field to decelerate this particle to a final velocity of zero:

[tex] {V_f}^2 = {V_0}^2 +2a(x - x_0) [/tex]

Substitute for a and solve for x with final velocity being zero. That should give you part (a). For part (b), we need to find the elapsed time. This equation comes to mind:

[tex] \sqrt{\dfrac{2\Delta x}{a}} = t [/tex]

Okay, now let's see. How much of the particle's KE will be lost after traveling 8mm in the electric field. Remember to convert this to meters. Find the initial KE - this should be easy enough for you. Then find the KE after the particle travels this distance 8mm. I'll not go into this deeply, but we know accelleration, we know [itex] x - x_0 [/itex], and all we need to find is the velocity at that point to be able to calculate KE.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
i figured it out earlier today

[tex]F = ma [/tex]

[tex]qE = ma [/tex]

[tex]\frac{eE}{m}= a [/tex]

find a, use it to find the displacement (x) in the simple mechanics equation

[tex] \frac{-v_{0}^2}{2a}= x [/tex]

then use x to find t :

[tex] \sqrt{\frac{2x}{a}}= t [/tex]

now simply use:
[tex] \Delta KE = \frac{1}{2}mv_{0}^2 - \frac{1}{2}mv^2 [/tex]

thanks for the suggestions!

Cool, glad you figured it out.

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical concept in physics that represents a single positive or negative charge with no physical size. It is often used to simplify calculations in electrostatics and is represented by the symbol q.

2. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where charged particles experience a force. It is created by a charged object or group of objects and can be either attractive or repulsive. The strength of an electric field is measured in units of force per unit charge, such as newtons per coulomb.

3. How does a point charge interact with an electric field?

A point charge will experience a force when placed in an electric field. The direction of the force will depend on the charge of the point charge and the direction of the electric field. A positive point charge will experience a force in the direction of the electric field, while a negative point charge will experience a force in the opposite direction.

4. What is the formula for calculating the force on a point charge in an electric field?

The formula is F = qE, where F is the force in newtons, q is the charge in coulombs, and E is the electric field strength in newtons per coulomb. This formula only applies to point charges and is based on Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

5. Can a point charge be affected by more than one electric field?

Yes, a point charge can be affected by multiple electric fields. In this case, the total force on the point charge is the vector sum of the individual forces from each electric field. This can be calculated by adding the x and y components of each force vector separately.