Rubber stopper hanging from the view view mirror of a car

In summary, a 18g rubber stopper is suspended from a 45-cm string attached to the rear view mirror of a car. As the car accelerates eastward, the string makes an angle of 5.1 degrees with the vertical. The forces acting on the stopper are tension, pointing outward diagonally along the string, and gravity, pointing directly downwards. The length of the string is given, but it can be ignored when analyzing the forces. The acceleration of the car can be determined by analyzing these forces.
shawli

Homework Statement

A 18g rubber stopper is suspended by a 45-cm string from the rear view mirror of a car. As the car accelerates eastward, the string makes an angle of 5.1 degrees with the vertical. Determine the acceleration of the car.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm totally stumped. There are no forces or anything given, not even sure what the diagram should look like : |. Help !

Physics news on Phys.org
What forces act on the stopper?

Gravity?
And it's positioned at an angle because of inertia ? I don't think that can be drawn out as a force though.

Yes, gravity is one of the two forces acting on the stopper. What's the other? (What's attached to the stopper?)

Oh right, tension !

So, from the rubber stopper, a force point outward diagonally (along the string) is the force of tension.
And a force pointing directly downwards is gravity?

shawli said:
So, from the rubber stopper, a force point outward diagonally (along the string) is the force of tension.
And a force pointing directly downwards is gravity?
Exactly!

Oh okay! One more thing --the length of the string is given. I get confused when questions about the magnitude of forces give me the length or distance of something. I'm not sure what I can do with that?

Just analyze the forces as you normally would. Ignore any extraneous information given.

What is the purpose of a rubber stopper hanging from the rear view mirror of a car?

The rubber stopper is used to prevent the rear view mirror from vibrating while the car is in motion. It also helps to keep the mirror in place so that it does not shift while driving.

Is it safe to drive with a rubber stopper hanging from the rear view mirror?

Yes, it is safe to drive with a rubber stopper hanging from the rear view mirror. It is a common practice and does not obstruct the driver's view or distract them while driving.

Can the rubber stopper be removed from the rear view mirror?

Yes, the rubber stopper can be easily removed from the rear view mirror if desired. However, it is recommended to keep it in place for a smoother driving experience.

Will removing the rubber stopper affect the functionality of the rear view mirror?

No, removing the rubber stopper will not affect the functionality of the rear view mirror. It is simply used to prevent vibration and does not play a role in the mirror's function.

Can a different object be used instead of a rubber stopper for the same purpose?

Yes, any small, lightweight object can be used to serve the same purpose as a rubber stopper. Some people use items such as a small toy, a keychain, or a decorative charm.