Explicit formula for Euler zigzag numbers(Up/down numbers)

In summary, the conversation discusses an explicit formula for the Euler zigzag number, which is the number of alternating permutations for n elements. The formula is derived and the author is asking if it is a new or well-known result. It is compared to other similar formulas and its efficiency is discussed. The link to the article where the formula is explained is provided.
ross_tang
I have derived an explicit formula for the http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EulerZigzagNumber.html" , the number of alternating permutations for n elements:
[tex] A_j=i^{j+1}\sum _{n=1}^{j+1} \sum _{k=0}^n \frac{C_k^n(n-2k)^{j+1}(-1)^k}{2^ni^nn} [/tex]

For details, please refer to my article in http://www.voofie.com" :

http://www.voofie.com/content/117/an-explicit-formula-for-the-euler-zigzag-numbers-updown-numbers-from-power-series/"

I would like to ask, if my formula is new, or is it a well known result? Since I can't find it in Wikipedia or MathWorld. If it is an old formula, can anyone give me some reference to it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are many formulas at Sloane's http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A000111 though I don't see yours, at least directly. But it may be there in disguised form.

Computationally, your formula is not competitive with some of the others listed there. For example, given

Code:
a(n)=local(v=[1], t); if(n<0, 0, for(k=2, n+2, t=0; v=vector(k, i, if(i>1, t+=v[k+1-i])));v[2])
A(j)=I^(j+1)*sum(n=1,j+1,sum(k=0,n,binomial(n,k)*(n-2*k)^(j+1)*(-1)^k/2^n/I^n/n))
your code A(500) takes four times longer than Somos' code a(500). I don't know if yet more efficient code exists.

Last edited by a moderator:
@arildno
Thank you for the link. I haven't read the "Entringer numbers" before. But I don't found explicit formula, and seems the Euler zigzag number is it's special case.

@CRGreathouse
I have read the link you send me before. Thank you. First, I found out the formula, not because it is computationally efficient. I am interested in the explicit form of it. Since the zigzag number sequence is solution to a few number of recurrence relation. And the Somo's code you mentioned used recurrence relation too. But I found none explicit form in the link.

Thank you for sharing your work on the explicit formula for Euler zigzag numbers. It is always exciting to see new developments in mathematics.

As a scientist, it is important to acknowledge that the discovery of new formulas or results is an ongoing process and it is possible that your formula may have already been discovered by someone else. However, if you have not found it in Wikipedia or MathWorld, it is possible that it is a new result.

I would recommend reaching out to other mathematicians or publishing your work in a peer-reviewed journal to get feedback and to see if your formula has been previously discovered. It is also important to provide a clear explanation of your derivation and any assumptions made in your formula to ensure its validity.

Regardless of whether your formula is new or not, it is an impressive accomplishment and I encourage you to continue exploring and contributing to the field of mathematics. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the explicit formula for Euler zigzag numbers?

The explicit formula for Euler zigzag numbers, also known as up/down numbers, is given by the recurrence relation:
Z(n) = Z(n-1) + (n-1)*Z(n-2)
with initial values Z(0) = 1 and Z(1) = 0.

2. How are Euler zigzag numbers related to other mathematical sequences?

Euler zigzag numbers are closely related to other mathematical sequences, such as the Fibonacci numbers and the Catalan numbers. In fact, they can be expressed in terms of these sequences using the following formula:
Z(n) = (n+1)*F(n+2) - C(n+1)
where F(n) and C(n) are the n-th Fibonacci and Catalan numbers, respectively.

3. What is the significance of Euler zigzag numbers in mathematics?

Euler zigzag numbers have applications in various fields of mathematics, including combinatorics, number theory, and algebraic geometry. They also appear in the study of lattice paths, permutations, and partitions.

4. Can the explicit formula for Euler zigzag numbers be used to calculate large values?

Yes, the explicit formula can be used to calculate large values of Euler zigzag numbers. However, as the value of n increases, the calculation becomes more complex and time-consuming. In such cases, it is more efficient to use algorithms or computer programs specifically designed for this purpose.

5. Are there any other ways to represent Euler zigzag numbers?

Yes, there are other ways to represent Euler zigzag numbers, such as generating functions, continued fractions, and summation formulas. These alternative representations can provide insights into the properties and behavior of these numbers.