What does it mean by 'implicitly depends on x' ?

• Thread starter KFC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of exact equations and their implications on the existence of a function F(x,y). The conclusion is that under certain assumptions, the partial derivative of F with respect to x being equal to 0 implies that F is a constant. However, there are some doubts and confusion about the use of the term "implicitly" and the dependence of F on y.
KFC
Hi there,
I am reading an introduction on solving ODE, there the exact equation is mentioned. Suppose a ODE is in the following form

[tex]M(x, y) + N(x, y)\frac{dy}{dx} = 0[/tex]

assume there is a function [tex]F(x, y)[/tex] such that

[tex]\frac{\partial F(x, y)}{\partial x} = M(x, y) + N(x, y)\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

Hence,
[tex]\frac{\partial F(x, y)}{\partial x} = 0[/tex]

The text says that the above equation imply that [tex]F(x, y) = \text{Const}[/tex]

But here are my doubts

1) Let's assume the above equation is true, so does it mean [tex]F(x, y)[/tex] has no way to be a function of x if the original equation is exact?

2) What about if [tex]F(x,y) = g(y)[/tex], in this case, we don't know the exact form of y, but we know that y is depending on x, so can we say [tex]F(x,y)=g(y)[/tex] is implicitly depending on x? If it is true, how can we conclude that [tex]F(x, y) = \text{Const}[/tex] instead of some functions of y?

Well, you might find what I am asking is vague. What I actually means is if [tex]F(x,y)=g(y)[/tex], so can we safely say that

[tex]\frac{\partial F(x, y)}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial g(y)}{\partial x} = 0[/tex]

It is quite confusing to use the term 'implicitly'! Because we do know that y=y(x), so how come we put
[tex]\frac{\partial g(y)}{\partial x} = 0[/tex] instead of [tex]\frac{\partial g(y)}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx} = 0[/tex] ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with the conclusion that

[tex]
\frac{\partial F(x, y)}{\partial x} = 0
[/tex]

implies that F(x,y) = const under two assumptions:

(1) y is a function of x, not an independent variable

(2) [tex]\frac{\partial F(x, y)}{\partial x} [/tex] means "take the partial derivative of F with respect to x" and not "take the partial derivative of F with respect to the first variable."

With these two assumptions, I can write F(x,y(x)) = G(x) and dF(x,y)/dx = dG(x)/dx = 0, so G(x) = const = F(x,y).

What does it mean by "implicitly depends on x"?

When something is said to "implicitly depend on x," it means that the thing in question relies on x for its existence or functioning, even though it is not directly stated or acknowledged.

How does something "implicitly depend on x"?

Something can implicitly depend on x in different ways, such as through underlying assumptions, hidden connections, or shared dependencies. These dependencies may not be obvious at first glance, but they are essential for the thing's existence or functioning.

What are some examples of "implicitly depending on x"?

Some common examples of things that implicitly depend on x include mathematical equations, computer programs, and scientific theories. These things may not explicitly mention x, but they rely on it for their validity and accuracy.

Why is it important to understand when something "implicitly depends on x"?

Understanding implicit dependencies is crucial for accurately interpreting and analyzing information. It allows us to identify potential biases or limitations and to critically evaluate the validity and reliability of information.

How can one determine if something "implicitly depends on x"?

Determining implicit dependencies requires careful analysis and examination of the thing in question. It may involve identifying underlying assumptions, examining related concepts, or seeking out additional information. Collaboration with others and seeking diverse perspectives can also help uncover implicit dependencies.