What is the formula for the sequence of points Pn approaching (2/5, 1/5)?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the points Pn approach the middle of the base of the new triangles. It is difficult to come up with a formula for the pattern of the x coordinates because of the way the pattern is going in the diagram.
gravenewworld
I don't understand why my professor is giving us so many hard problems to do in such a short amount of time. Please I need some advice on this problem, the homework set is due tomorrow.

All the lines in the sketch have slope 0,1,or -1, or are vertical What do the Points Pn approach?

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    47.7 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
The middle of the base of each new triangle?

I have only tried to figure out what point the x coordinate approaches, which has been hard enough. What makes it hard is that I don't think you can come up with a formula for the general pattern of the x coordinates because of the way the pattern is going in the diagram (for example p1 and p2 have the same x coordinate, as well as P5 and P6). The x coordinates I found were 0,.5,.5 1/4,1/2,3/8,3/8 7/16, 3/8,13/32,13/32....

Please any hints anyone? My brain has become fried trying this problem.

I haven't worked it out but I'd try something like this:

Start with the first vector from the origin extending 45 degrees to the hypotenuse of the large triangle. The second vector is rotated 45 clockwise with respect to the first and is reduced in magnitude - call it [itex]\alpha[/itex] which I think is [itex]\frac {1}{\sqrt 2}[/itex] in this case. And the process repeats.

The relationship between successive operations on the vector is
[tex]\left( x_{n+1}, y_{n+1} \right) = \alpha \left( y_n , -x_n \right)[/tex]
which represents a ("double") geometric series which I think you can solve. Notice how the x and y are swapped along with the sign change - if I did this correctly it represents the rotation from one vector to the next.

Once you've found [itex]x_n[/itex] and [itex]y_n[/itex] just add them up.

I finally realized that if you keep going, P8 will create a triangle that has the same orientation as the original triangle. The coordinates for P8 are (3/8, 3/16). Then for P16, which should just created another smaller triangle that is similar to the big triangle, I got the coordinates (51/128, 51/256). So I am guessing that the points Pn--->(2/5, 1/5). The problem now for me is that I have been trying to come up with a formula for this sequence that has its limits =(2/5,1/5) in order to prove that Pn----->(2/5,1/5). Any hints now on the formula for the sequence?

1. What is "Another hard math problem"?

"Another hard math problem" is a phrase often used to describe a particularly challenging mathematical equation or concept. It can refer to any type of math problem that is considered difficult or complex.

2. Is "Another hard math problem" a specific problem or a general term?

"Another hard math problem" is a general term and does not refer to a specific problem. It is used to describe any math problem that is considered difficult.

3. How do you approach "Another hard math problem"?

There are many possible approaches to solving "Another hard math problem." Some common strategies include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, looking for patterns or connections, and trying different methods or techniques.

4. Why are some math problems considered "hard"?

Math problems can be considered "hard" for a variety of reasons. They may involve complex concepts or require advanced mathematical knowledge. They may also be difficult to solve due to their length or the number of steps involved.

5. Is there a trick to solving "Another hard math problem"?

There is no one trick or method that will work for every "Another hard math problem." However, practicing problem-solving skills and being familiar with different mathematical concepts can make it easier to approach and solve difficult math problems.