Why is the surface of a conductor equipotential?

In summary, the conversation discusses how a neutral conducting sphere can affect the potential of a positive point charge. The presence of the sphere allows for points A and B to have the same potential, despite point A being closer to the point charge. This is due to the redistribution of free charges on the sphere in response to the point charge's field.
narps
I am having trouble understanding this. For example, say I have this:

[positive point charge] [A][neutral conducting sphere] [...infinity]

I know the point charge will create a field radially outward. But now I'm thinking of a test charge being brought in from infinity. If the sphere was not there, point A would obviously have a higher potential than point B. But somehow the conducting sphere being there would allow A to have the same potential as B. I do not understand this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The free charge on the conducting sphere will re-distribute in the presence of the field from the point charge. The electron density will increase near the positive charge (side A) and decrease on the opposite side. The field of the charge distribution will add up to the field of the point charge.

1. Why is the surface of a conductor equipotential?

The surface of a conductor is equipotential because the electric field inside a conductor is zero. This means that the electric potential is constant throughout the conductor, resulting in an equipotential surface.

2. How does the electric field inside a conductor affect its surface?

The electric field inside a conductor is zero, meaning that there is no change in electric potential as you move through the conductor. This results in an equipotential surface on the conductor's surface.

3. What is the significance of having an equipotential surface on a conductor?

An equipotential surface on a conductor ensures that all points on the surface have the same electric potential, making the distribution of charge and electric potential uniform. This also helps to prevent electric shocks and protects the conductor from damage due to high electric fields.

4. Can the surface of a conductor ever not be equipotential?

No, the surface of a conductor will always be equipotential as long as the conductor is in a steady state. If there is a changing electric field, the surface may no longer be equipotential.

5. Does the shape or size of a conductor affect its equipotential surface?

Yes, the shape and size of a conductor can affect its equipotential surface. For example, a sharp point on a conductor will have a higher concentration of electric field lines, resulting in a higher potential difference compared to a flat surface.