Proof of Indicial Notation Identity: Shortcut and Results

In summary, the identity \epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{klm} = \delta_{il} \delta_{jm} - \delta_{im} \delta_{jl} can be used to obtain the results a) \epsilon_{ilm} \epsilon_{jlm}= 2\delta_{ij} and b) \epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{ijk} = 6. To solve this problem, we can use the fact that \epsilon_{ijk} is invariant under cyclic transposition of indices, which allows us to simplify the expression to \epsilon_{ilm} \epsilon_{mjl}. By plugging this back into the original identity, we can see that it is in the same form as the
ftarak

Homework Statement

Use the identity
[tex]
\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{klm} = \delta_{ik} \delta_{jl} - \delta_{il} \delta_{jk}
[/tex]
as a shortcut to obtain the following results:
a) [tex]\epsilon_{ilm} \epsilon_{jlm}= 2\delta_{ij}[/tex]
b) [tex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{ijk} = 6[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve that by solving the determinant [tex]\epsilon_{ilm} \epsilon_{jlm}= [\delta][/tex] but the result just became zero. or even, I tried to change i=k and j=l in the first equation but the result was zero as well. I don't know what should I do, I'm really stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
ftarak said:

Homework Statement

Use the identity
[tex]
\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{klm} = \delta_{ik} \delta_{jl} - \delta_{il} \delta_{jk}
[/tex]

This is incorrect, on the LHS only the indices [itex]i[/itex], [itex]j[/itex], [itex]l[/itex], and[itex]m[/itex] are free indices ([itex]k[/itex] is being summed over, so it is called a dummy index), so only those indices should appear on the RHS side of the identity. Instead, you should have:

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{klm} = \delta_{il} \delta_{jm} - \delta_{im} \delta_{jl}
[/tex]

as a shortcut to obtain the following results:
a) [tex]\epsilon_{ilm} \epsilon_{jlm}= 2\delta_{ij}[/tex]
b) [tex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{ijk} = 6[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve that by solving the determinant [tex]\epsilon_{ilm} \epsilon_{jlm}= [\delta][/tex] but the result just became zero. or even, I tried to change i=k and j=l in the first equation but the result was zero as well. I don't know what should I do, I'm really stuck.

Start by using the fact that [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex] is invariant under cyclic transposition of indices so that [itex]\epsilon_{jlm}=\epsilon{mjl}[/itex] and hence, [itex]\epsilon_{ilm} \epsilon_{jlm}=\epsilon_{ilm} \epsilon_{mjl}[/itex], which is in the same form as your identity with [itex]j \to l[/itex], [itex]k\to m[/itex], [itex]l\to j[/itex] and [itex]m\to l[/itex]... What does that give you (show your calculatiuons)?

1. What is indicial notation?

Indicial notation is a mathematical notation used to represent repeated multiplication of the same quantity. It involves using superscripts to indicate the number of times a quantity is multiplied by itself, such as an where 'n' is the number of times a is multiplied by itself.

2. How is indicial notation used in proofs?

Indicial notation is often used in proofs to simplify and generalize mathematical expressions. By using superscripts, the same formula or equation can be applied to any number of terms, making the proof more concise and easier to understand.

3. What are the rules for manipulating indicial notation?

The basic rules for manipulating indicial notation include the laws of exponents, which state that when multiplying powers with the same base, add the exponents, and when dividing powers with the same base, subtract the exponents. Additionally, a power raised to another power can be simplified by multiplying the exponents.

4. Can indicial notation be used for all types of mathematical expressions?

Indicial notation is most commonly used for algebraic expressions, but it can also be used for other types of mathematical expressions such as trigonometric functions and matrices. However, it may not always be the most efficient notation for these types of expressions.

5. How can I practice and improve my understanding of indicial notation?

To improve your understanding of indicial notation, it is important to practice solving problems and proofs that involve it. You can also look for online resources and tutorials that provide step-by-step explanations and examples. Working with a tutor or attending a workshop may also be helpful in improving your understanding and proficiency in using indicial notation.