The Atom: wavelength, energy, kinetic energy, etc. of photons

In summary, the individual is struggling with understanding basic concepts in their online Physics class. They are specifically struggling with the units and equations used in the subject, such as eV, Jules, Hz, and nm. They are seeking help in understanding these concepts in order to better comprehend their coursework.
278225mw
here are the problems that I need help with:

http://imgur.com/a/fERMC/1

I am afraid that I know not much information about the questions. Sadly, I am enrolled in a poorly written Physics class online. I am not looking for the answers, but just how to go about finding them. The book never explained what eV was, but gave be basic equations like: E = hf, KE = hf + work function, and wavelength = h/mv

h is always Planck's constant.

It would be great to know the equations, units, etc. I can use. Because I am confused with Jules and Hz and nm and eV, etc.

Help? I am stuck. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
278225mw said:
I am afraid that I know not much information about the questions. Sadly, I am enrolled in a poorly written Physics class online. I am not looking for the answers, but just how to go about finding them. The book never explained what eV was, but gave be basic equations like: E = hf, KE = hf + work function, and wavelength = h/mv

ok so we have three equations:

E=hf ; E=Φ+KEmax and λ=h/mv

The first question is asking for wavelength 'λ', so in the three equations which do you think you have to use? What is the mass of an electron and what is the speed of electron in the question?

For the second question, you are given the energy of the electron, so you have 'E' and you want to get 'λ'. What is the frequency of the photon?

278225mw said:
It would be great to know the equations, units, etc. I can use. Because I am confused with Jules and Hz and nm and eV, etc.!

Joule and eV (electron-volts) are two units used to represent energy. For energy sometimes dealing with electrons or photons, eV is used.'e' is the elementary charge of an electron which is 1.6x10-19C.

so 1 eV= 1.6x10-19CV = 1.6x10-19 J.

Hz is a unit of frequency.

nm is a measure if length, it means 'nanometer'. The prefix 'nano' means 10-9. S0 200nm is the same as 200x10-9m.

1. What is the relationship between an atom's wavelength and energy?

The wavelength of an atom is inversely proportional to its energy. This means that as the wavelength decreases, the energy of the atom increases, and vice versa.

2. How are photons related to the concept of wavelength?

Photons are particles of light that have a specific wavelength. The wavelength of a photon determines its energy, and thus, its behavior and interactions with other particles.

3. Can an atom have multiple wavelengths?

No, an atom can only have one wavelength at a time. However, an atom's wavelength can change depending on its energy level or interactions with other particles.

4. What is the kinetic energy of a photon?

The kinetic energy of a photon is determined by its wavelength and is given by the equation E = hc/λ, where h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength of the photon.

5. How does the energy of a photon relate to its behavior?

The energy of a photon determines its behavior and interactions with other particles. Higher energy photons have shorter wavelengths and can penetrate deeper into matter, while lower energy photons have longer wavelengths and are more easily absorbed or scattered.