How Does a Rowboat's Angle Affect Its Path Across a River with a Current?

• Thread starter berrywild120
  • Start date
  • Tags
    River
In summary, a rowboat with a velocity of 3.30 mi/h at an angle of 62.5 degrees north of west relative to the water crosses a river that is 0.505 mi wide and has an eastward current of 1.25 mi/h. To calculate the distance upstream at the opposite shore, the time is first found by dividing the distance of 0.505 mi by the speed of 2.40 mi/h. Then, the distance is calculated by multiplying the time by the speed, resulting in .106 mi or 560.0 feet. There is confusion about the eastward and northward vectors and their impact on the boat's velocity.
berrywild120
A rowboat crosses a river with a velocity of 3.30 mi/h at an angle of 62.5 degrees north of west relative to the water. The river is 0.505 mi wide and carries an eastward current of 1.25 mi/h. How far upstream is the boat when it reaches the opposite shore?

Drew a staight line down in quadrant two and made a right triangle. Then: tan(62.5°) multiplied by 1.25 mi/h = 2.40 mi/h.
Then figure the time out by distance of 0.505 mi divided by 2.40 mi/h = .210 h.
Then figure upstream at the opposite shore by: (0.505 mi) x (.210 h) = .106 mi = 560.0 feet.

I'm confused because I have a vector pointing east and one pointing north at 62.5° north of west and I feel like I'm ignoring the east pointing vector and that I need to do something else. I don't understand WHY though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drew a staight line down in quadrant two and made a right triangle. Then: tan(62.5°) multiplied by 1.25 mi/h = 2.40 mi/h.

This is wrong. How can the current alone be causing you to travel faster than the speed of the current itself?

1. How does a rowboat cross a river?

A rowboat can cross a river by using oars to propel itself forward through the water. The rower will sit facing the direction they want to go and move the oars in a back-and-forth motion, pushing the boat through the water.

2. What factors can affect a rowboat's ability to cross a river?

Some factors that can affect a rowboat's ability to cross a river include the strength and direction of the current, the wind speed and direction, and the weight of the boat and its occupants. Other factors such as the width of the river and any obstacles in the water may also play a role.

3. Can a rowboat cross a river without a rower?

Yes, a rowboat can cross a river without a rower if it is equipped with a motor or if the current is strong enough to carry it across. However, using a motor takes away the physical effort and skill required for rowing, and relying solely on the current can be risky and unpredictable.

4. How long does it typically take for a rowboat to cross a river?

The time it takes for a rowboat to cross a river can vary greatly depending on the factors mentioned earlier. On average, it may take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes to cross a river, but this can be shorter or longer depending on the conditions and the rower's skill.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when crossing a river in a rowboat?

Yes, it is important to always wear a life jacket when crossing a river in a rowboat. It is also a good idea to check the weather and water conditions before setting out, and to have a basic understanding of rowing techniques and safety procedures in case of emergency. It is also recommended to have a designated spotter or someone on shore who can assist in case of any issues.