Atmosphere can be absorbed into the solution?

• Thread starter .....
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atmosphere
In summary, the possibility of water being absorbed into a solution upon cooling depends on the water absorption capacity of the solution. However, if the container gets colder than the dew point, condensation can occur and potentially alter the concentration or introduce impurities. More details about the experiment are needed for a better assessment.
when cooling a solution, if the container is open, is it possible that some water from the atmosphere can be absorbed into the solution? and if so, can there be a significant amount of absorbance (i.e enough to alter some properties of the solution) ?

I'm trying to explain some results i got in an experiment...i think i may be on the right track with this, but i thought i'd better be sure...anything else that's relevant would be good too

ta

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well, it depends on the water absorption capacity of your solution. Upon cooling, it is however possible to observe the interference of humidity.

But you'll need to give some experimental details about your event, especially, the reactants.

Regards, chem_tr

The way I see it, if your container gets colder than the dew point, you will have condensation upon it. If the container is open, then there's a good chance that the condensation along the inside walls will drip into the solution.

If this is an aqueous solution, you will merely change its concentration. If it's organic, you could be introducing an impurity.

To give you better advice, we will need to know what exactly you have, how it is being cooled, temperatures, etc.

1. How does atmosphere get absorbed into a solution?

Atmosphere can be absorbed into a solution through a process called diffusion, where gas molecules move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration.

2. What factors affect the absorption of atmosphere into a solution?

The absorption of atmosphere into a solution is influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the concentration of gases in the atmosphere.

3. Can all gases in the atmosphere be absorbed into a solution?

No, not all gases in the atmosphere can be absorbed into a solution. Some gases, such as nitrogen and oxygen, have low solubility in water and cannot be easily absorbed.

4. How does the absorption of atmosphere into a solution affect the solution's properties?

The absorption of atmosphere into a solution can alter the properties of the solution, such as its pH level and conductivity, as well as the rate of chemical reactions that occur within the solution.

5. Is the absorption of atmosphere into a solution reversible?

Yes, the absorption of atmosphere into a solution is reversible. The gases can be released from the solution through processes such as heating, stirring, or changing the pressure.