Sodium Percarbonate as I want to use it as Hydrogen Peroxide

In summary, Sodium Percarbonate can be used to create Hydrogen Peroxide and Soda Ash. However, be aware that this solution will not behave the same as the real thing and it is not suitable for use in place of hydrogen peroxide.
kevf6
Hi chaps

I wonder if anyone can help - I'm really stuck! I have purchased Sodium Percarbonate as I want to use it as Hydrogen Peroxide.

I want to use it at 6% strength but do not know what ratio to mix it with water with! The data sheet is here: http://mistralie.co.uk/files/msds/sodiumpercarbonate.pdf but I'm struggling to understand.

Please help!

Many thanks

Kev

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ah, the joys of acting first, thinking later.

Do you know formula of the compound? Do you know what happens when it is dissolved in water?

Hi Borek

Unfortunately not. All I know is what the data sheet says and that Sodium Percarbonate creates Hydrogen Peroxide and Soda Ash.

I just presumed that it would come with some guidlines on mixing!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Kev

I'm pretty useless at chemistry:shy:

I read that link yesterday but its like gobbledy gook to me! All I need to know really is how can I make 6% aquous solution of hydrogen peroxide from this powder.

Sorry for being a bit dim.

Kev

You geeks really are a helpful bunch aren't you:grumpy:

If you don't know anything about chemistry and molar ratios, you don't have much business mixing hydrogen peroxide using sodium percarbonate in my opinion. Why not just buy a bottle of hydrogen peroxide from a pharmacy?

Sorry, missed your previous post.

This is against all forum rules.

Take 185 g, add some water to dissolve, fill up to 1L.

And I agree with Mech.

Borek said:
Sorry, missed your previous post.

This is against all forum rules.

Take 185 g, add some water to dissolve, fill up to 1L.

And I agree with Mech.

Oh! The Shame! The Shame! How will you live this down, Borek?

Kevf6, if you want to use this stuff in place of hydrogen peroxide, think again! This solution won't behave the same as the real thing. It might work in your case, though. As long as you intended to add a base like soda ash to your hydrogen peroxide in the first place. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot.

It's hard to be helpful when you state that you bought one chemical in place of another! Do you know how pure this chemical is? Borek's answer probably assumes 100 percent purity. If you were to buy the stuff as reagent grade (much purer than, say, OxiClean) you would read the label and be informed that the "Available H2O2 20-30%". What do you think that says about the purity of reagent grade sodium percarbonate? You might aim for 6% and get only 4%. Of course you'll also have a lot of soda ash in solution... if that's what you want.

I had worse :wink:

Ok guys, thanks a lot it is appreciated :wink: Its just that I use it a lot in my trade and buying it in small bottles is a pain.

I have tried using 18% HP, then mixing with distilled water to get 6% which did work, but I found that it didnt last very long in terms of it retaining its strength. I read that it should be kept in brown bottles or anything not see through - as the light deteriorates it!

I didnt know that the product I bought contained soda ash - is this just a sort of filler? Oh well back to the drawing board!

Kev

kevf6 said:
Ok guys, thanks a lot it is appreciated :wink: Its just that I use it a lot in my trade and buying it in small bottles is a pain.

I have tried using 18% HP, then mixing with distilled water to get 6% which did work, but I found that it didnt last very long in terms of it retaining its strength. I read that it should be kept in brown bottles or anything not see through - as the light deteriorates it!

I didnt know that the product I bought contained soda ash - is this just a sort of filler? Oh well back to the drawing board!

Kev

Commercial peroxide is stabilized with a little acid. I'm not sure which acid is used but I know that it is very pure and would contain no transition metals. Don't try to use muriatic acid.

chemisttree said:
Commercial peroxide is stabilized with a little acid. I'm not sure which acid is used

I think it is phosphoric.

1. What is Sodium Percarbonate?

Sodium Percarbonate is a chemical compound that is often used as an oxidizing agent and bleaching agent. It is a combination of sodium carbonate (also known as washing soda) and hydrogen peroxide.

2. How does Sodium Percarbonate compare to Hydrogen Peroxide?

Sodium Percarbonate and Hydrogen Peroxide are both oxidizing agents, but Sodium Percarbonate is a more stable form of Hydrogen Peroxide. It also has a higher concentration of Hydrogen Peroxide, making it a more powerful bleaching agent.

3. Can I use Sodium Percarbonate as a substitute for Hydrogen Peroxide?

Yes, Sodium Percarbonate can be used as a substitute for Hydrogen Peroxide in many applications. It has similar properties and can be used for cleaning, disinfecting, and bleaching.

4. Is Sodium Percarbonate safe to use as Hydrogen Peroxide?

Sodium Percarbonate is generally considered safe to use as Hydrogen Peroxide, but it is important to follow the proper handling and safety precautions. It can be a skin and eye irritant, so it is recommended to wear protective gear when handling it.

5. How should I store Sodium Percarbonate if I want to use it as Hydrogen Peroxide?

Sodium Percarbonate should be stored in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight and sources of heat. It is important to keep it in a sealed container to prevent moisture from entering and causing it to degrade. It should also be kept out of reach of children and pets.