Calculating Moment About Axis: A Chiropractor's Procedure

In summary, to calculate the moment about the axis AB generated by the thrust at t = 15 msec, you need to take the cross product of the position vector from A to C and the force vector from C to D. The magnitude of this moment vector is 0.275 Nm.
pinksunbeam
A chiropractor performs a lumbar spinous pull manipulative procedure. Using instrumentation , she determines 3D coordinates of the axis of rotation of the contacted verebra at t = 15 msec relative to the local axis system as shown. A uniaxial load cell at the spinous process measures a force of Fs = 54.8 N during the thrust also at t = 15 msec. An optotrak camera system determines the 3D coordinates of two points along the line of force application relative to the local axis system again at t = 15 msec. All coordinate data (measured in metres as X, Y, Z) is shown below. Calculate the moment about the axis AB generated by the thrust at t = 15 msec. Assume bone acts as a rigid body.

Given: Point A along the axis of rotation: (.025, .134, .012)
Point B along the axis of rotation: (-.044, -.280, .048)
Point C at the spinous process: (-.003, -.032, -.082)
Point D along the line of force application: (.030, -.031, -.094)

okay i found this questions and have tried to figure it out. i know in theory what to do
1: calculate moment about a
get direction of c-d then get dc.
get length by pythagoreans and divide.
multiply by each component.
get position vector.
then i have force vector need to get cross product.
get moment about a-b figure out vector and need to know direction.
head-tail divide by length then have unit vector do cross product.

so i started to get moment about a.
i took all co-ordinates from a and got three co-ordinates for b,c and d. i multiplied all these co-ordinates by force 54.8 i added all co-ordinates and got -5.1 nm.

im just not sure i did the right thing. i don't want to move on until i know I am on the right track.
any help would be appreciated
thanks

Attachments

• moments question.key.zip
    124.3 KB · Views: 190
Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach is correct, but you need to calculate the moment vector correctly. You can calculate the moment vector by taking the cross product of the position vector from A to C and the force vector from C to D. The position vector from A to C is given by: AC = (0.028, -0.166, -0.094)The force vector from C to D is given by: CD = (0.033, 0.001, 0.012)The moment vector is then given by: M = AC × CD = (0.071, -0.006, 0.272)The magnitude of the moment vector is then given by: |M| = √(0.071² + (-0.006)² + 0.272²) = 0.275 Nm.

1. What is the purpose of calculating moment about axis in a chiropractor's procedure?

The purpose of calculating moment about axis in a chiropractor's procedure is to determine the amount of force and torque being applied to a patient's spine during an adjustment. This helps the chiropractor ensure that the force being applied is within a safe and effective range.

2. How is moment about axis calculated in a chiropractor's procedure?

Moment about axis is calculated by multiplying the force being applied by the distance from the axis of rotation. This gives the torque, or rotational force, being applied to the spine. This calculation is typically done using specialized instruments or software.

3. What factors can affect the moment about axis in a chiropractor's procedure?

There are several factors that can affect moment about axis in a chiropractor's procedure. These include the amount of force being applied, the angle and direction of the force, the patient's body position, and the location and condition of the spinal joint being adjusted.

4. How does the moment about axis impact the effectiveness of a chiropractic adjustment?

The moment about axis is a crucial factor in determining the effectiveness of a chiropractic adjustment. If the force applied is too low, the adjustment may not have the desired effect. If the force is too high, it can cause discomfort or even injury to the patient.

5. Are there any risks associated with calculating moment about axis in a chiropractor's procedure?

There are minimal risks associated with calculating moment about axis in a chiropractor's procedure. However, it is important for the chiropractor to use proper technique and equipment to ensure accurate and safe calculations. Patients should also communicate any discomfort or pain during the adjustment process.